Chicago And New York

New buildings 10 years as becoming the US nation's tallest building.

New York

Who believes that the Freedom Tower will be our tallest in the country. >:)

When will they offically or who knows when or what this tower will be like

View all drawings (41)

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=7788

Will Chicago topped the tallest in the U.S. >:) >:) >:)

Chicago

Fordham Spire

View all drawings (4)

446 East North Water Street

Chicago IL United States

>:) >:):ph34r: >:)

Construction Dates

Started: 2006

Finished: 2009

Floor Count: 115

Building Uses

• mixed use

• hotel

• office

• residential

Structural Types

• highrise

• pole

Architectural Style

• futurism

Materials

• glass

Heights Value Source / Comments

Spire 609.7 m Chicago Tribune

Roof 446.5 m Grant Park Advisory Meeting 9/13/2005

http://www.skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=39392

Description

If built, it will surpass the Sears Tower as the tallest building in Chicago, as well as the United States.

Architect - Santiago Calatrava

• 3 months later...

^

Good grief, I actually agree with Jeebus on something?

I totally agree. I have always been a fan of the idea of just rebuilding the shells of the buildings. September 11 was a large enough event for the shells to be the largest memorials in the world.

110-story shells seem a bit out of scale for a memorial. I have never seen the point of trying to replicate the buildings that used to be there. That being said, the current design for the "Freedom Tower" is kind of a dud. It is getting built mainly for symbolic and political reasons instead of business demand, which isn't a good sign.

Here's the official HAIF-related page on Chicago's Fordham Spire project. Lots of pictures and diagrams of the building.

You can get your fill of Chicago-related architectural developments, projects and history at this link.

As for why not to rebuilt the WTC the way it was, I believe the problem is cost and space. They don't build buildings like they used to. These days extra safety measures and economic considerations wouldn't permit it. And then there's the question of space -- They can't build on a lot of the area that used to be the World Trade Center, especially the footprints of the twin towers.

Here's a HAIF-related link to New York's Freedom Tower project for those who want to see what's planed for the former World Trade Center site. Again, lots of pictures.

Archived