Austin Light Rail Project

zaphod

Austin passed a thing in nov 04' that's allowing them to build a light rail. Their website on it stinks. i was wondering if anyone here had any good info on it? My guess is that they will use the old Austin&northwestern rail line that comes out of downtown and goes east then north going west again under 35 back behind highland mall and onto leander and cedar park, which is supposed to be the terminus according to what ive read. Im wondering what sort of trains they are going to use. The new thing going now is diesel light rail vehicles, like the riverline in new jersey, and i read they might be considering this.

Actually it is not light rail but Commuter Rail that is being built here in Austin. The Rail line will run I believe 32 or 35 miles from Leander to Downtown Austin. They are already begining early stages on the new convention Center Station, with hopes to extend the line to the old Seaholm powerplant to create a larger station that would connect the local commuter rail with a proposed High speed commuter rail service between Austin and San Antonio.

Archived