Best Banks To Bank At In Houston

Parrothead

Yes, but I believe that's a holding corp, and they retain an independent local HQ here that makes the highest-level loan decisions (not that that would come up with a small business loan anyway). I haven't tapped them for a loan, but I've had nothing but stellar service from everybody I've dealt with there.

+1 on the service there. I don't have an account with them (although my wife does), but I hit them up for a car loan a couple of years ago when the car dealer's finance department quoted me a ridiculously high interest rate (this was for a used car, not a new one). Dealing with Amegy was a pleasant surprise, and the smoothest loan approval process I've ever gone through.

HTX, I am unclear as to what your primary objective is. Financing? Operations? Both?

I agree with sticking to the local base. Two of the large, independent interests are Sterling and Prosperity. Prosperity has a couple branches in the area of town in which you're looking to set up shop. You also might consider reginally based IBC which has a SE Houston branch.

Amegy is okay. In my experience, good service...lackluster business partner. Also the Zions connection should not be ignored. They have exposure to weaker markets like Las Vegas, Phoenix, and California. My sense is there is some cost enhancement because of this.

Thanks for the replies. As for objective, operations first and financing a close second. I don't need a loan to take over the business as we currently have the deal structured but the possibility of needing capital in the near term is real. I'd like to be doing business with a bank that can offer both. BoA is just not interested in working with companies in this size classification.

Amegy is the product of several mergers. We have been doing business with them for over 30 years, however it was at first with Citizen's State Bank of Dickinson. Citizen's was part of a group of banks operated by the Hall family of League City. The Halls merged all of their banks under one name in the early 90's and called them Maxim Banks. Maxim was later bought and merged into Southwest Bank. (This is not to be confused with the earlier and much larger Bank of the Southwest) Southwest Bank renamed all of their banks Amegy a few years ago to bring some commonality to the branches and locations of the previously named banks. We never noticed any difference in operation during these changes. Although the sign companies got plently of extra businsess.

• The title was changed to Best Bank In Houston

Archived