What a great looking shower! ...although the light fixture might be problematic for the freakishly tall :lol:

With 9 or 10 foot ceilings, old homes are perfect for the freakishly tall. You might have to get on your knees to wash your hands in the sinks though... :)

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good Afternoon all,

AND thank you all for sharing your tips and ideas!

Any real solution with block & beam homes with minor cracks near the window frames?

Whats the best way to lock original wooden windows if they are not

even or dont line up to the lock handle switch ?

Is it necessary to add a ceiling vent to a bathroom since these

older homes did not have one before?

Thank You

"make it a great day"

The windows are double hung. The upper pane has probably slid down in the frame over time. The ideal fix is to get the windows moving again. Clean out the old paint and crud out of the tracks. Get the lower pane moving up and the upper pane moving down. Once you do that you should be able to get the upper sash pushed all the way up and get the lock to line up properly.

If you dont want to go to all that effort, you can put a shim under the latch to adjust the position to where it meets the mating half.....or you can drill holes on the sides through both the upper and lower windows where the sashes meet and use pins to lock the window. Or you can even paint them shut! It's too hot in Houston to open the windows! :P

Any real solution with block & beam homes with minor cracks near the window frames?

If you mean sheetrock cracks (and your block and beam foundation is fine), then there is not much you can do about it living in houston with the soil we have. Just make sure all your water drains away from the house and not under the house.

You should get the steam from a shower out of the bathroom somehow or the excessive moisture will eventually cause problems with mold, mildew, and etc. You can open the bathroom window when you are showering - if you don't want to install an exhaust vent. that is if you decided not to paint them shut ^_^

Depends on what has cracked...is it the original plaster over the lath boards? Or is it drywall over lath? Or drywall right on studs? Or spackle someone had put there a long time ago to cover up cracks? But unless it is caused by water or looks really bad...I'd leave it...that's "character"

You could either try to line up the windows per gnu or put some shims under the existing locks to make them line up. Several windows in my house have these dealios that wrap around the corners on the jamb. They have a small sliding pin that you can move around the corner of the jamb to either block the sash or let the window open. So, alignment of the windows is not an issue. Mine look really old...not sure what you call them, but the old timers at C&D on 11th could probably help.

If you try to unstick the windows, which are probably painted shut, a putty knife works best to "break the seal". DON'T try to use a screwdriver...you may put a dent in the sash. If you break away all the paint, and it still won't open, tap lightly around the sash with a rubber mallet. If it still won't open...don't force it. Either take the window out and clean it up/plane it until it slides free, or just leave it. Working on windows can be a slippery slope...sometimes, if they aren't letting a draft through, they are best to just leave as is.

Yes, if you like hot showers, you need to get the steam out of the bathroom. Otherwise, you risk rot and mold in places you won't be able to see (until the floor collapses, that is...don't ask how I know!)

heightsfan...

you'd be well off to upgrade your sevice panel and add several new circuits if you are updating the house... it'll give you the flexibility you need and you won't have power drains or spikes when using hair dryers/microwaves etc at the same time....

you'll need new wiring for the can lights.... as for size, 4" and 6" seem to be the most common... just depends on the look you want in your house and the amount of light required... I put 4" lights in the soffitts outside and over my kitchen sink but have 6" everywhere else..

Good Afternoon,

hope your day goes well !

Is the procedure costly if I upgrade the sevice panel and add several new circuits ? How is this done ?

What are power drains or spikes ? Are there alternatives ?

How difficult is rewiring ?

Is the procedure costly if I upgrade the sevice panel and add several new circuits ? How is this done ?

depends on exactly what you do but i would say a new service panel and a couple new circuits would be at least $1100.

Rewiring is not hard if you have all your walls empty down to the studs. However, If you want to rewire the entire house with fully enclosed walls it could be very hard...for someone that doenst do it everyday anyway.

you can get a surge protector that is incorporated into the service panel but i don't think they are too cheap.

I like the paint at Definitive Paints (used to be on Washington, now off Old Katy). They sell the C2 colors and there are some amazing choices. (The colorists of Pratt and Lambert spun off this company...it is their dream number of pigments or something...plus, P&L is now Sherwin Williams...)

Just a thought. The people who work there are extremely helpful and keep records of your purchase, which has helped us out.

I got a quote last year for a new service panel. I think it was $900 for the panel and install and another $400 to run in a new line from the street. Haven't had it done yet, however.

The difficult and danger in wiring is in hooking up the junction boxes and outlets. Most electrical fires originate where the wiring is connected to the socket. If you want to save money, you can run all of your own conduit/wiring up to the sockets and junction boxes, and then pay an electrician to connect everything. This way, you still have a "professional" install but save a few bucks.

• 3 weeks later...

Good Afternoon All,

Seeking some more input please ?

What look does crown molding add to a home ? A smaller room , closed in room , or wide open?

I have a smaller restroom with shower and need to replace the toilet because its old

and too big for the room ? Are toilets standard or come in different sizes and what about

angling the toilet will that work ?

Thank You

Hi there. I recently bought my 1920's bungalow that the previous owner had renovated. It is great. Not in the traditional style, but beautiful and modern in the original footprint. There is crown molding throughout, the kitchen/dining became on great room, and he converted the 3rd bedroom into a closet/bathroom. The original bathroom still includes the original clawfoot tub, but new comode and sink. So, much of the original character is still there, but with every modern convenience.

I think what you need to ask yourself is how you see the finished product. Do you want something that when you walk in, will look like it stepped out of the 1920's (although, the fancy modern interpretation)? Or do you just want a nice and comfortable home to live in?

• 2 weeks later...

Good Afternoon All,

Its me again and as always I really appreciate all your great and helpful

feedback,ideas, comments, or recommendations.

Question :

My older home is not grounded as mentioned earlier before on this topic

so what exactly is meant by wiring being grounded ? Because my stove

and refrigerator all require 3 prong plugs ? Is it safe just to use

an adapter ? Does the entire house have to be grounded why/why not ?

Thank You

"make it a great day"

Hey guys I have a quick question for everyone. I am getting ready to do the second wave of remdeling on my Woodland Heights bungalow...we started when we bought it last April.

Question is I have a budget around $5,000 or so. I have a few projects to allocate this to and want your opinions as to which would be best for value long term. I want to obviously look at projects which give my wife and I happiness but also improve the value of our home.

1) Roof looks a little worn and needs to be replaced in the next couple of years - already has a patch at one part and vents that look like they are rusting down. Also I was interested in getting some ridge vents up there to see if it would help cut the ridiculously high energy bill.

2) Update kitchen (updated in the 80s) so it has the white appliances, black and white grouted tiles (ugghhh) and older white cabinets...

3) Bathroom (same as #2) except it has older white faucet in the bathtub and black marble on the bathroom counter along with broadway looking light fixture with a row of lightbulbs.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Hey guys I have a quick question for everyone. I am getting ready to do the second wave of remdeling on my Woodland Heights bungalow...we started when we bought it last April.

Question is I have a budget around $5,000 or so. I have a few projects to allocate this to and want your opinions as to which would be best for value long term. I want to obviously look at projects which give my wife and I happiness but also improve the value of our home.

1) Roof looks a little worn and needs to be replaced in the next couple of years - already has a patch at one part and vents that look like they are rusting down. Also I was interested in getting some ridge vents up there to see if it would help cut the ridiculously high energy bill.

2) Update kitchen (updated in the 80s) so it has the white appliances, black and white grouted tiles (ugghhh) and older white cabinets...

3) Bathroom (same as #2) except it has older white faucet in the bathtub and black marble on the bathroom counter along with broadway looking light fixture with a row of lightbulbs.

Thanks for any suggestions...

Sounds like the roof needs to be your priority if only for pratical and value reasons. I'm not sure what your sq. footage is so it's hard to say how far $5000 will go. If you can swing it for under 5k with a good 20 year roof with ridge vents, I'd say that would be your wisest and prudent choice.

B)

• 3 weeks later...

Good Afternoon All ,

hope your weekend goes well !

Do residential alarms require for installation to drill thru walls or doors ?

Also who is better in price and quality ADT or Brinks ?

Not sure if I want someone drilling all over my walls or telling me

my older home needs upgrading in wiring

Thank You

Do residential alarms require for installation to drill thru walls or doors ?

Also who is better in price and quality ADT or Brinks ?

In general I believe they will have to drill small holes in the doors/windows and associated jambs, depending on the type of alarm you get.

Most systems are wired, but a friend just had his house done with wireless sensors. Each sensor in the door jamb pulls out and has a place for a small battery. In his deal, batteries are replaced by a technician at set intervals (under the service contract).

My house has a Brinks alarm, and there is a rat's nest of wiriing in the attic for it. Right now, I don't have it turned on, but still have the Brinks sign in the front yard. I suspect that is nearly as effective.

Another friend had an ADT alarm in Midtown. Their house was broken into, but ADT didn't call the cops because they said my friend didn't have an alarm permit on file. Turns out, they did, it was an ADT clerical error. (Fortunately a neighbor saw the perp and called 911 in time for the police to catch him in the house).

I had ADT however in my townhome in Montrose and always found them to be very responsive whenever I had a technical problem.

Good Afternoon All,

How easy is it to replace a stand up shower faucets ?

That only has the shower head and 2 faucets handle no diverter ?

I was told to keep the old handles since there is no interchangeable shower

faucet handles ?

Where is the best place to locate small wall hung bath sinks ?

Thank You

Archived