Market Street In The Woodlands

bachanon

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think both of you are correct, especially in critiquing Market Street's tenant mix. For The Woodlands to fill a retail center with shops attractive to youth and then complain that it attracts teenagers is myopic. It shows their lack of planning, or worse, their quest for rents clouding their common sense. San Antonio's Riverwalk largely features adult themed attractions, thereby attracting mainly adults. The Woodlands (apologies for not knowing the name of the mall developer) could have put a little thought into this, realizing that a separate retail area next door to the restaurant area would have provided some separation of the age groups. They could have also recognized that malls have attracted teens since their inception, and designed the theatre and teen area to accomodate the 'hanging out' that will inevitably occur, providing better supervision and/or security.

Instead, they lump them all together, advertising that all all welcome, then blaming the teens for acting like...well...teenagers. While I am unimpressed with the adults' selfish insistence on 'urbanity without being urban' expectations, I also cannot blame them for listening to the sales pitch of the Market Street management, and expecting them to live up to their promises.

Finally, there is the whole premise of 'family fun' as it is advertised. The nuclear family of 2 parents and their children is a shrinking demographic. The largest demographic in the US is single people, followed by single parent households. The Woodlands and many of it's residents further confuse matters by assuming the family is always comprised of 2 parents and their pre-teen children. By ignoring the reality of families with teens, and incorrectly assuming that single adults don't mind congregating with families with pre-teens, the result is the friction playing out at Market Square. Once their irrational utopian vision is exposed by reality, they react with predictable authoritarian policies that will likely have other unintended consequences.

I can't help but be amused when Idealism meets it's arch-enemy, Realism.

• 2 weeks later...

move along, little doggies...

Coincidentally, the new policy will take effect on the same day a new park opens across from Market Street. Some residents believe the issue will soon move from Market Street to Town Green Park and The Woodlands Waterway. Town Green Park will close at 11 p.m. on weekdays and midnight on weekends but has no restrictions on ages for patrons.

i hate to make the comparison, but here goes. i remember at disneyworld florida, some years ago, that this same age group had places that they flocked to in the evenings and on weekends. many of these kids had season passes, lived nearby or had parents and relatives who worked in the park. there were always large groups of kids hanging out. kids hang out. i'll say it again, i think that the concentration of kids at market street would have eventually spread out with the opening of the park and other coming developments without the strong arm tactics of market street. although i started the thread and have been annoyed by the kiddies, i don't think that all the kids should be pushed out in one fell swoop.

btw, preliminary construction of waterway square is underway. it's location is across the street from tinseltown, connects by waterway to the the town green park and the mall. expect the kids to make waterway square a big deal when completed (at least for awhile).

market street's mr. dull states: "My policy will be enforced as needed as we observe the behavior.". i truly hope they tread softly on enforcement of this policy. there should be more going on (disruptive behavior, complaints, etc.) when asked to leave other than being 16 years old.

• 2 weeks later...

Matt and I went to Tommy Bahama's at Market Street last night. We had a marvelous time and had a wonderful dinner. I really enjoyed it and never even noticed anything out-of-sorts. There were teenagers there, walking around, or at Starbucks, but they were all well-behaved.

It was nice--it actually felt like we were "out of town" in another part of the country, even. I am surprised at the closed-mindedness of the Inner Loop/Galleria attitudes, I guess because I can see the good things about this place and I used to live right by the Galleria (oh, yes, I used to say "I will NEVER move to the suburbs!").

I'm aware it was a school night, but it was still rather busy. I was there about three Friday nights ago, again at Tommy Bahama's, but I was with a large group and Phoebe was sick, so I really didn't pay much attention to my surroundings. I guess it wasn't that bad if I didn't notice.

• 4 weeks later...

I'll go ahead and add in my knowledge of the situation. I graduated from TWHS in 2001, so I guess I was too old to ever join in the "stand outside the movie theater without seeing a movie phase" but from the looks of it, the kids hanging out at market street at the ones who used to do that. When that caught on as a "cool thing" younger crowds started showing up, so the old ones moved on.

It is something that really can't be explained, since it isn't one huge crowd, just an assembly of small cliches.

When I think back a few years, I realize that my friends and I did just hang around certain places, but really only somewhere that we shopped.

If you really want something to blame though, blame parents no longer being able to spank their kid in public.

I was given a good spanking, and I think I turned out just right. I won't get into my little brother though...(he wasn't spanked as far into childhood)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On the most part, the teens at Market Street are there because their friends are there. Apparently, various posters here have different personal experiences in their own lives, regardless of generation. All teens easily get bored. I would rather my children be at market street than in someone's home whom I do not know. What pot smoking occurs is relatively sparse judging from my own visits to the complex. I have talked to store owners and no one wants to exclude the kids. Then too, no one wants the kids to get into things they should not. I see some posters believe it is the reponsibility of the parents to hold the kids hands. I am sorry, but a 15-16 year old is learning independence and experimenting with their social skills. They need to be among peers and not be supervised too close. Control drives them underground. Market street seems to have reached a point in their policing and policies where the extreme misbehavior can be managed and the normal teen can co-exist with adults. After all, that is what we all seek, is it not? Teens must be included, not excluded by adults. Every person whether a teen or an adult is different and relevant to o ur society. Most of them wo I know are excellent people, seeking their place in this world. We have failed to provide them a venue for this, so they have found their own. Thank goodness Market Street is trying to work all this out. Adults who try to exclude the kids from their presence are likely to exclude other groups as well due to a discriminating frame of mind.

i don't think the posters in this thread ever intended to completely exclude teens. for awhile, market street was becoming packed with teenagers who were dominating the scene after dark. the families were leaving and the teens were standing in groups blocking sidewalks, yelling, smoking and sneaking up to the parking garage to smoke pot. it wasn't a bunch of snooty adults whining about kids being present, it was families and couples who were being made to feel unwelcome by the throngs of teenagers. my most recent visits to market street have been completely pleasant. i think the problem has subsided. the groups of teenagers frequenting market street these days are well behaved. i think it would have worked itself out eventually without market street's new rules. it was "the place to see and be seen" in the younger teen set for awhile. after articles/opinions/blogs started coming out and kids were caught smoking pot on the roof of the parking lot among other things. the rowdies moved on. the kids who are well behaved stayed.

• 1 month later...

all is well. all is well. ;)

i have to say that i'm pleased with the current mix of teens frequenting market street these days. lately, the kids i've seen hanging out are much more well behaved and well mannered than before.

so, for the record, thanks. :)

Our offices are in Market Street and I've noticed the hangout thing myself but I don't see it as a bad thing. They don't disrupt anything and haven't really misbehaved. They go to the movies and Tommy Bahamas and Cold Stone and relax in the park. That is pretty much what the place was built for.

Also, the "weed" smell, most likely, isn't weed. The area was landscaped with Salvia which smells a lot like weed. I've noticed it before and was with one of my contractors and he even pointed out where the smell was coming from.

The horses in the Woodland do not excrete bodily waste. It was written in George Mitchell's secret constitution for the Woodlands to find these types of horses. Also, I heard that if you get close enough to them, they will smell not unlike the flowers in Heaven.

Did you honestly think that you'd ever see horse crap lying around in Pleasantville?

• The title was changed to Market Street In The Woodlands

Archived