Wine Stores On Washington Ave.

Looks like Washington Ave. growth is picking up. I've seen several signs for new places recently. Cova (wine store / wine bar / tapas restaurant in Rice Village area) seems to be opening up a store across from El Tiempo in one of the newly built strip mall buildings. Not sure whether it will follow the same format as the one in the village.

I also saw a new sign for a place called Corkscrew - had wine bottles on it - so I can only guess it will be either a wine store or wine bar. This place was located further east down Washington not too far from the Dark Horse Tavern. It looks like it will open in a renovated building (which is always nice to see).

Neither of these places looked like they will be opening up in the next few weeks -- but it hopefully won't be much further down the line.

There's also a sign on Washington (near Heights) for a Maui Wowie smoothie shop. That one looks really, really far off though as the sign is posted on a vacant lot.

The street has so much potential.

Looks like Washington Ave. growth is picking up. I've seen several signs for new places recently. Cova (wine store / wine bar / tapas restaurant in Rice Village area) seems to be opening up a store across from El Tiempo in one of the newly built strip mall buildings. Not sure whether it will follow the same format as the one in the village.

I also saw a new sign for a place called Corkscrew - had wine bottles on it - so I can only guess it will be either a wine store or wine bar. This place was located further east down Washington not to far from the Dark Horse Tavern. It looks like it will open in a renovated building (which is always nice to see).

Neither of these places looked like they will be opening up in the next few weeks -- but it hopefully won't be much further down the line.

There's also a sign on Washington (near Heights) for a Maui Wowie smoothie shop. That one looks really, really far off though as the signs on a vacant lot.

Looks like Washinton Ave. has graduated from Maddog to Merlot.

• 1 month later...

Hello All, I'm glad to see folks are noticing our signs for The Corkscrew. I'm Gretchen, the General Manager, and I wanted to let you know a little bit about us. The owners are 2 brothers, Andrew and Doyle, and they grew up in the neighborhood. The location was selected because of the old building (all of us at the Corksrew love old buildings) and the surrounding neighborhood which we feel is undergoing a major transformation. While we have had to change some aspects of the building to suit our needs and the health department codes, we are trying hard to give the space the welcoming feel of a neighborhood wine bar. We have salvaged and are reusing many materials that we found in the space including very old cypress planks that have been made into a bar and the arched door to the private room which houses the highest end wines. We hope to be open in just a couple of weeks and I hope you will all stop in and introduce yourselves. We will have over 300 wines by the bottle and 30 by the glass...surely something to suit all your palates! Happy Holidays to all! Carpe Vino!

Hello All, I'm glad to see folks are noticing our signs for The Corkscrew. I'm Gretchen, the General Manager, and I wanted to let you know a little bit about us. The owners are 2 brothers, Andrew and Doyle, and they grew up in the neighborhood. The location was selected because of the old building (all of us at the Corksrew love old buildings) and the surrounding neighborhood which we feel is undergoing a major transformation. While we have had to change some aspects of the building to suit our needs and the health department codes, we are trying hard to give the space the welcoming feel of a neighborhood wine bar. We have salvaged and are reusing many materials that we found in the space including very old cypress planks that have been made into a bar and the arched door to the private room which houses the highest end wines. We hope to be open in just a couple of weeks and I hope you will all stop in and introduce yourselves. We will have over 300 wines by the bottle and 30 by the glass...surely something to suit all your palates! Happy Holidays to all! Carpe Vino!

Gretchen -- thanks for the information. I'm looking forward to trying the place out when it opens. Please keep us updated.

I also saw a new sign for a place called Corkscrew - had wine bottles on it - so I can only guess it will be either a wine store or wine bar. This place was located further east down Washington not too far from the Dark Horse Tavern. It looks like it will open in a renovated building (which is always nice to see).

There's also a sign on Washington (near Heights) for a Maui Wowie smoothie shop. That one looks really, really far off though as the sign is posted on a vacant lot.

Hi -

The Darkhorse Tavern is open and doing well. We opened over a year ago in the renovated space that used to be an A&P then Cleaners and most recently a Framing shop. The Darkhorse is a small "shotgun" style space with long oak bar, mirrors, original tin celing transoms and a new deck with a view of downtown.

The bar has a coesey hide-away but has plenty of room for small groups of birthday's or happy hour groups.

The bar is open everyday with happy hour from 4-7 ($1 off everything) and daily specials as well. The Darkhorse offers a full bar with a selection of wines that are on special every Monday, and some of the coldest tap beer in town.

Stop by and check out the space in the 6th ward at 2207 Washington at Hemphill.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I've wondered recently why there isn't there a Washinton Corridor in MetroRail plan.

You all make good points about the new retail along there, and obviuosly the cookie cutter townhome trend is still strong in Rice Military and on the north side of Wahshington.

With all this growth, eventual rail on washington seems like a no-brainer.. esp. since Washington Avenue seems like the only logical direct link between Downtown and the Northwest Transit Center.

I've wondered recently why there isn't there a Washinton Corridor in MetroRail plan.

You all make good points about the new retail along there, and obviuosly the cookie cutter townhome trend is still strong in Rice Military and on the north side of Wahshington.

With all this growth, eventual rail on washington seems like a no-brainer.. esp. since Washington Avenue seems like the only logical direct link between Downtown and the Northwest Transit Center.

sounds like a great idea to me, if only Houston can figure out a way to build it without taking 10 years and destroying all the existing retail in the area!

I've been to The Corkscrew a few times since they opened a couple of weeks ago and have only positive things to say about the place. They’ve certainly put a great deal of work into and it shows. The wine selection is very solid and reasonably priced. Everyone working there is knowledgeable and friendly. It’s definitely worth dropping by.

Gretchen – you all are doing a great job.

As for a metro line down Washington Avenue -- I've always thought that would be a fantastic idea.

A light rail line down either Washington or Center Street or the 7th Street rail corridor in the Heights is part of METRO's long-term plan. It's just not part of the near-term (20 years!) plan that everyone is currently discussing and planning.

I hadn't seen the updated current plan of attack from Metro.

The current plan shows commuter rail along that corridor, hitting the NWTC, but continuting on to the downtown Intermodal Station. Maybe I don't get what commuter rail is, but my impression is much less stops, further spaced, faster speeds, dedicated right-of-way and mainly used for suburbs. You dont want that inside the loop...seems like missed opportunity.

They already have plans for the Galleria line to run north to the NWTC.. an additional LRT to downtown makes sense.

Why not have CRT stay on the outside of the loop,where most the Transit Centers alredy are... then from there have more growth friendly, more frequent stops LRT inside the loop

Archived