Is Metro Underestimating Ridership?

I ran across this map on another forum and the ridership numbers are kind of low. I understand some routes are bus rapid transit rather than light rail but still. Am I the only one who thinks the University Line will have a far greater ridership than the Red Line that is currenly open? I say this because, does anyone ride the 82 Westheimer and see how packed the route is? The train will be going through some heavily popualted areas and everyone that rides 82 may walk over to Richmond to take rail. Especially since rail in this city is more dependable than buses as far as what time they come. Plus you have close to 40,000 students at UofH and I am surprised how many students depend on METRO bus routes 77 and 30 that go to the Downtown Transit Center. 15,000 seems extremely low even for the first opening months. I am not saying this is a bad thing, but hopefully the people who went for these brt vehicles, than run on oil go figure, will keep their word on changing the brt's to light rail when ridership is up.

gg69yt.jpg

I tend to agree with you. However, I'm afraid that ridership on that line will never reach its potential if it does not go through the core of Uptown. As I understand the plan, if one wants to go from downtown to somewhere in Uptown, one will have to take the Red Line south, change trains on to the University Line west, then change to BRT to go up Post Oak. That's insane.

Good study, but to wrap it all up it was common sense. I know people, and not just Houston, who despise taking the bus for those obvious reasons. Just to put it out there, my main gripe is being on time and a dollar could buy you two different passes. One let's you only take one route for three hours and the other is a 3 hour pass for any route. Why in the hell would you sell the first one? One bus driver gave me the fist ticket without telling me, but he assumed I was taking the same route for the next 3 hours. We could use more bus shelters too, especially the areas where there is no presence of trees.