Wikipedia Entry: Midtown Houston

HtownTX

They could at least mention that "Midtown" is a new moniker.

The way it reads you'd think its been called Midtown since the begining of time.

You know if you wanted to you can add that to the page your self. All you have to do is click the edit button on the side and type what you want to add.

It can and should be updated. I started by adding section headings and a couple of links last night. We should compile topics and content to post within this thread.

Suggested Sections to Add:

• Entertainment
  • Art
  • Demographics
  • Starbucks

Edited by HtownTX

I actually just ran into this Wikipedia entry the other day, too. Definitely could use an update.

By the way, I'm a newbie over here. I'm waiting for my house in Midtown to be completed right now, so will be a new neighbor early next year. Right now I'm in the Montrose area.

On another note, I made a place for Midtown residents and those interested in the area to chat - a neighborhood intranet site. I have a fairly wide vision for it, but right now it is just a forum. Feel free to head over there and join up, if you'd like.

http://www.midtownintranet.com/community/

Edited by bwj

Actually, the designation "Midtown" isn't all that new. I did some research for something a while back and found references to it back in the late 1800's. Of course, all that was posted on the OLD HAIF, so it's all gone.

For those new to the area, in the years following the founding of Houston, the area known as Midtown was where people went to get away from the bustling downtown of Houston, centered around Allen's Landing. It was the 1890's equivalent of today's River Oaks -- a leafy place for the rich to retreat.

Actually, the designation "Midtown" isn't all that new. I did some research for something a while back and found references to it back in the late 1800's. Of course, all that was posted on the OLD HAIF, so it's all gone.

For those new to the area, in the years following the founding of Houston, the area known as Midtown was where people went to get away from the bustling downtown of Houston, centered around Allen's Landing. It was the 1890's equivalent of today's River Oaks -- a leafy place for the rich to retreat.

Has your research yielded any material for the wikipedia entry? I'd love to see the Midtown entry grow into a detailed, thorough, and accurate account of the neighborhood.

BTW: VicMan/WhisperToMe has been making some nice contributions (a lot), thanks!

I just added the demographics, and I plan on adding the street signs.

An Arts & Entertainment section would be helpful. Any suggestions?

I'm thinking...

• Houston Fire Museum (http://www.houstonfiremuseum.org/about.html)
  • Houston Center for Contemporary Arts
  • Lawndale Art Center (www.lawndaleartcenter.org)
  • Midtown Art Center
  • The Recording Studio w/ Destiny's Child's Mural???

Edited by HtownTX

Anyone know the name of the recording studio with the Destiny's Child mural? Or who owns it?

"That IS destiny's child studio. Beyonces dad owns the record label, music world music, and that's their offices and studios in midtown. They even got a big dance studio in the compound."