Mp3 Home Reciever?

I went to a party a few months ago, and the host had a little device plugged into his computer that broadcasted his mp3's across the house to a reciever at his home stereo.

I'm looking for one for myself now, and can't seem to find one on the net. I've been googling all morning with no success. Its a two-piece set-up: 1 transmitter & 1 receiver. I'm not quite sure what medium it uses to broadcast either.

Any help?

I've got one for my iPod, but I'm looking for a home audio version. I think it's a wi-fi connection, and the transmitter connects to the computer via USB.

Also, the receiver is somewhat full-rack size, so it blends in with a home stereo rack setup.

I'm going to go check it out, but I have a feeling its not what I'm looking for. The device I'm looking for broadcasts the mp3's on your computer's hard drive. I believe it has built in software (telnet type with a GUI) that can be programmed to recognize Window's Media Player or Apple iTunes to broadcast via the USB transmitter to the wireless receiver.

Any takers?

The solution that works for me is using my TIVO. I hooked up a wireless USB NIC to the back of the TIVO and am now able to wirelessly send all the MP3s on my computer and play them through my entertainment system. TIVO also lets you view all the digital photographs stored on your computer's hard drive on the television. Additionally you can send any of the TIVO movies and programs to your computer and burn them to DVD. Yet another reason to get a TIVO -

You just need to install a free program on your computer that you can get on the TIVO website.

I don't work for TIVO - just think they are awesome devices....

If you're using iTunes anyway, you might as well go for an Airport Express (also known as AirMac in some countries). Then you get both the benefits of being able to stream music to your stereo from your comptuer, and it acts as a wireless router, a wireless bridge, a wireless print server, and a few dozen other things. They're $129.

I have seen some other devices that are more like stand-alone boxes that join your standard stereo rack, but I don't have much experience with them. Try ThinkGeek.com. I think they stock at least one model.

I also like the Airport Express solution because it plugs directly into the wall so there's only one wire -- the one going to your stereo, and it's very small. It also has optical out, which most wifi music servers don't.

Additionally you can send any of the TIVO movies and programs to your computer and burn them to DVD.

You'd think that TIVO has something to keep you from recording copyrighted content.

So you just get a USB wireless NIC and run it through your router back to your computer? Then with some free software from TIVO.com, you can send and recieve media to your TIVO hard-drive? It kind of sounds like a remote server. Do you use the TIVO interface to browse your files and play them?

(This still isn't the device I'm looking for! But thanks thus far..)

I also like the Airport Express solution because it plugs directly into the wall so there's only one wire -- the one going to your stereo, and it's very small. It also has optical out, which most wifi music servers don't.

This is getting closer, but would that work with a pc? Also, the device I'm looking for has a cool LCD display that scrolls the mp3's ID3 tag information as the song plays. You can also browse folders and select music from the receiver side, and not just at the computer.

You'd think that TIVO has something to keep you from recording copyrighted content.

So you just get a USB wireless NIC and run it through your router back to your computer? Then with some free software from TIVO.com, you can send and recieve media to your TIVO hard-drive? It kind of sounds like a remote server. Do you use the TIVO interface to browse your files and play them?

Sorry got off subject with the movies and programs that you can burn to DVD (using it like this is just like using a VCR to record movies) -- however TIVO does have some antipiracy measures which prevent you from trading these files online -- I don't have details.

You are right essentially the TIVO software on your computer and TIVO hardware is operating like a remote server. I use the TIVO interface (i.e. my television) and remote control (don't know if you're familiar with it but it is a very friendly interface) to flip through the mp3s on my computer. I select the songs / playlists / albums I want and it plays them through my AV receiver. Nice part is it also lists song details on the television screen - and makes it very easy to flip to new songs or forward within the song. My laptop is hooked up to a wireless router.

The songs are never stored on the TIVO device though -- they stay on the computer hard drive and play instantly via the wireless router. I'm using 802.11B and it works just fine -- but an 802.11G would probably be much better. Essentially the TIVO becomes the interface for playing the mp3 from your computer through the AV receiver --

The songs are never stored on the TIVO device though -- they stay on the computer hard drive and play instantly via the wireless router. I'm using 802.11B and it works just fine -- but an 802.11G would probably be much better. Essentially the TIVO becomes the interface for playing the mp3 from your computer through the AV receiver --

Hmmm.. so this might fit my needs. Here's my next two-questions:

1. When you transfer movies from your TIVO to your computer's hard-drive, what format are the movie files?

2. I don't have TIVO, DVR, or even regular cable - however, I've recently (this previous Sunday) convinced my wife to buy a bigger TV (upgrading from a 19" CRT to a 42" plasma). This was partially why I was asking about the mystery mp3 device. Well, my second question is what is TIVO exactly, how does it work compared to the Time Warner DVR, and coincidentially, how does that work? I need to know because we were going to go with the Time Warner all in one package next month.. possibly.

This is getting closer, but would that work with a pc? Also, the device I'm looking for has a cool LCD display that scrolls the mp3's ID3 tag information as the song plays. You can also browse folders and select music from the receiver side, and not just at the computer.

Are you talking about a Squeezbox? I have wanted one of these for several years but never went through with it.

http://www.slimdevices.com/

Hmmm.. so this might fit my needs. Here's my next two-questions:

1. When you transfer movies from your TIVO to your computer's hard-drive, what format are the movie files?

2. I don't have TIVO, DVR, or even regular cable - however, I've recently (this previous Sunday) convinced my wife to buy a bigger TV (upgrading from a 19" CRT to a 42" plasma). This was partially why I was asking about the mystery mp3 device. Well, my second question is what is TIVO exactly, how does it work compared to the Time Warner DVR, and coincidentially, how does that work? I need to know because we were going to go with the Time Warner all in one package next month.. possibly.

1. I believe the programs are recorded in MPEG format - although I'm not sure what MPEG version.

2. The best source for all the answers to your questions would probably be the TIVO website -- it's very informative and has tons of screenshots to let you know what the interface would look like:

TIVO INFORMATION

But essentially TIVO is a DVR with an incredibly friendly and versatile menu driven user interface. The interface is what essentially differentiates it from the DVRs that the cable companies provide. You can schedule recordings, season passes, wish lists all through the internet (if you hook up your TIVO to the home network)

A Time Warner provided DVR (which you would rent and not own) would NOT allow you to wirelessly broadcast music and photos from your computer. But, it does allow you to record movies, pause and rewind live TV - just like the TIVO. Like I said TIVO is a DVR - albeit a much, much better one than what the cable companies rent you.

Once you've got a TIVO up and running it will really be hard to watch TV again without one.

Airport Express works with a PC because it's controlled by iTunes.

Now that you mentioned the display, I think I know the device you're looking for. It's called a Squeezebox, made by "Slim Devices." Here's a picture of the current version:

hero_image_03.gif

But they're not cheap. $179 for wires. $249 for wireless.

Are you talking about a Squeezbox? I have wanted one of these for several years but never went through with it.

http://www.slimdevices.com/

I think this was it!

I'm still festering over the TIVO now.. I had originally planned on getting the Time Warner DVR, but all my co-workers are telling me it sucks. The popular concensus here is get DirectTV with TIVO. Any thoughts?

I'm still festering over the TIVO now.. I had originally planned on getting the Time Warner DVR, but all my co-workers are telling me it sucks. The popular concensus here is get DirectTV with TIVO. Any thoughts?

The TiVo Community forums can answer a lot of your TiVo questions. Basically, DirecTV doesn't actively promote the Hughes DirectTiVo box any longer as they have their own DVR (just introduced). However you can still find them, and they work really well with a slick interface. No TiVoToGo option on the integrated satellite DVR, but you do get dual-tuner (assuming you have two satellite connections to plug into the back) and the recording quality is exactly as you see on TV, you truly cannot differentiate between live and recorded. Those two advatanges far outweigh any disadvantage IMO. Get a decent DVD recorder to dump shows to (no such thing as integrated tuner/DVR/DVD recorder yet) and you are in business!

I think this was it!

I never had a TIVO so I can't comment on that.

I do have the TW DVR and I am happy.

I got one of the original boxes a couple of years ago and it kept locking up so i swapped it for another. It started locking up too and I was mad. The next time I took it in they gave me a newer model that just they got.

I haven't had any problem since then.

I had DirecTV but switched when I got Roadrunner under one of their special pricing deals.

There are definitely small trade offs to be made.

You can also just get the Time Warner Digital Cable box without the DVR and get TIVO. That's the setup I have and it works fine for me.

As TravelGuy_73 mentioned you don't have the dual tuners with the standalone TIVO box -- but the streaming MP3 and photos as well as TIVO to GO definitely made up for it for me.

Time Warner's DVR also has a slightly lower monthly fee. Still it all comes down to personal choice. I wouldn't trade in my TIVO for another DVR.

You can also just get the Time Warner Digital Cable box without the DVR and get TIVO. That's the setup I have and it works fine for me.

This is what I was told was the best option. I was warned however that with a TIVO box versus a TWDVR, I might not be able to record some networks like HBO. Is this true?

This is what I was told was the best option. I was warned however that with a TIVO box versus a TWDVR, I might not be able to record some networks like HBO. Is this true?

Probably not true, but again, get yourself to tivocommunity.com and start your research there. Those guys and girls know everything!

Definitely not true. I have a season pass on my TIVO (i.e. records every episode) for several HBO series like EXTRAS, DEADWOOD, SOPRANOS, etc... and have never had an issue. Ditto with movies on HBO.

However, when you order HBO you get a Time Warner feature called ICONTROL that gives you a DVR-like functionality for free. Basically you can watch a good deal of the HBO movies and HBO series shows with the same functionality of a DVR - but the movies aren't stored on your local box - they're accessed over the TW network. The bonus is you can watch those ICONTROL shows in surround sound and don't need to record them using your TIVO.

Basically a normal time warner DVR is like having your old 19 inch CRT and a TIVO is like having your new plasma tv. enjoy

Okay, so without any premium channels (e.g. HBO) I could just run my cable line into TIVO, and it would recognize the cable signal? Also, I know TIVO requires a subscription. How does TIVO aquire its content? Is it via a phone line similar to how DirecTV works?

With a premium channel, TW cable would give me a box that I would then run into my TIVO?

Another friend of mine mentioned that TIVO can't process HD signals yet, or record their programming either. He told me that to receive HD signals I'll need the TW HD box.

What happened to just plugging in the cable into your VCR? :D

Archived