Museum of Missing Places Houston

Well this guy approached me on Westheimer yesterday with a flyer regarding information on a museum about Houston's changing geography. It is somewhat confusing, but I am willing to help the dude out.

Here is the link to his website where you might be able to help him out more than I can.

http://missing-places.org/

• Like 1

Dear Houston Architecture folks,

I just initiated a project called the Museum for Missing Places. It is a public information project and vehicle for proposing alternative ways of mapping Houston through public participation. Currently, the project has a website presence but perhaps later it will present itself in physical space somehwere. I don't yet know. But the shape it takes will most likely be related to the information being collected.

The Museum is organized into exhibits, each oriented toward a specific issue or topic. Currently, Exhibit.1 is up on the website and ready for visiting. I would love to get your participation and feedback about the project or suggestions for future exhibits.

But bear in mind that the Museum is nt so much about nostalgia for lost places in Houston but an awareness that in a city that changes as rapidly as Houston where architectural landmarks may be here today and gone tomorrow, there is great potential to mine the many urban perceptions and narratives that Houstonians use to imagine their city. I'm hoping to map the city along these lines and provide a public venue for the sharing of this information.

Please check out the website at www.missing-places.org

Thank you,

Eric Leshinsky

Edited by leshy

Well this guy approached me on Westheimer yesterday with a flyer regarding information on a museum about Houston's changing geography. It is somewhat confusing, but I am willing to help the dude out.

out of curiosity... what did this fella look like?

it also seems as if you may have replaced your first post with a reply of some sort last night i read it and was coming back to reply.

Dear Houston Architecture folks,

I just initiated a project called the Museum for Missing Places. It is a public information project and vehicle for proposing alternative ways of mapping Houston through public participation. Currently, the project has a website presence but perhaps later it will present itself in physical space somehwere. I don't yet know. But the shape it takes will most likely be related to the information being collected.

The Museum is organized into exhibits, each oriented toward a specific issue or topic. Currently, Exhibit.1 is up on the website and ready for visiting. I would love to get your participation, feedback about the project or any suggestions for future exhibits.

But bear in mind that the Museum is not so much about nostalgia for lost places in Houston but an awareness that in a city that changes as rapidly as Houston where architectural landmarks may be here today and gone tomorrow, there is great potential to mine the many urban perceptions and narratives that we use to imagine our city. I'm hoping to map the city along these lines and provide a public venue for the sharing of this information.

Please check out the website at www.missing-places.org

Thank you,

Eric Leshinsky

Edited by leshy

• 4 weeks later...
So, this is a museum of things that are not there?

:huh:

i saw some flyers for this at the brasil cafe sit there for a while... was looking on the shelves there and someone said, "what's this?" but it really doesn't say much on it. i said, "i don't know but its not nostalgic." (which i read on here somewhere) the fella just looked at me and put it down. i'm all about nostalgic so...

the guy who made this museum mildly flooded the board with a plug for it a couple days ago...

Silly person. For less than he spent printing up all those flyers he could have bought a crapload of advertising here and actually reached people interested in Houston's history instead of a thousand random Joe Commuters.

• The title was changed to Museum of Missing Places Houston