Movie Tavern Theaters Enters To Houston Market

Dallas dining/movie theater operator to enter Houston market

Houston Business Journal

Movie Tavern Partners LP is ready to roll with the opening of two Houston-area dining/theater complexes in the next six months.

The first Movie Tavern location, which will be called Movie Tavern-Richey Road, will be a seven-screen theater at Richey Road and Interstate 45. Movie Tavern will occupy the space formerly held by the AMC 8 theater at The Commons at Commerce Park North Shopping Center.

The Richey Road location, originally constructed in 1984, was vacated by AMC in the late 1990s and has remained vacant since that time.

The 27,800-square-foot theater is being totally gutted and reinvented, with one of the eight screening areas being converted into a commercial kitchen.

This location was previously slated to become an Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, but Dallas-based Movie Tavern Partners purchased the assets out of bankruptcy in August after the franchise company that was to develop that specific Alamo Drafthouse location filed bankruptcy last April.

The Richey Road location is slated to open in time for the holidays.

The second project, which will be called Deerbrook Movie Tavern, will be a six-screen theater just west of the intersection of Highway 59 and FM 1960 in the former General Cinemas 6 at the Deerbrook Shopping Center.

Deerbrook Movie Tavern will open in late spring 2006.

The Deerbrook location in Humble, originally constructed in 1981, has been vacant since General Cinemas closed the theater in the late 1990s.

The 20,800-square-foot theater is also being totally renovated in similar fashion to the Richey Road facility.

This location was previously slated to become an Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, but Dallas-based Movie Tavern Partners purchased the assets out of bankruptcy in August after the franchise company that was to develop that specific Alamo Drafthouse location filed bankruptcy last April.

Smart move by Alamo Drafthouse Cinema not to go into that location...

I knew I wasn't going crazy! I swore that I had seen a banner advertising that Alamo was coming to that location about a year ago. I hadn't seen it recently and no one knew what I was talking about.

At any rate, I love the concept - I just hope the service is better than Alamo's.

When are we gonna get something similar inside the Loop...or even inside the Beltway?!? OR EVEN CLOSE TO THE BELTWAY?!?

I'd like to go to the Alamo Drafthouse on the rare occasion that I go to the movies, but it's not worth the hour-long drive to get to West Oaks Mall!

it is a long way for me as well...i would think something like that would do well closer in, but then again, i keep thinking it may do TOO well and end up a big clusterf*ck! :D

on an unrelated note, does anyone want to go in on opening up a bowling alley? we don't have enough of those :)

• The title was changed to Movie Tavern Theaters Enters To Houston Market