Sage Department Stores

EastEnd Susan

• 10 months later...

My mom used to work at Sage in the early 70's. We lived on Elrod Street. We lived in a duplex with our neighbors named Freeman. Does anyone remember or lived near by. Maguaritte Ray Park was in our backyard.

We moved in like 1972 or 1973 to the Rio Grande Valley (South Texas) but I still faintly remember the neighborhood and park, and of course Sage where my mom worked.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On January 18, 2017 at 2:06 PM, Manny Castillo said:

My mom used to work at Sage in the early 70's. We lived on Elrod Street. We lived in a duplex with our neighbors named Freeman. Does anyone remember or lived near by. Maguaritte Ray Park was in our backyard.

We moved in like 1972 or 1973 to the Rio Grande Valley (South Texas) but I still faintly remember the neighborhood and park, and of course Sage where my mom worked.

Hi Manny. I didn't grow up in that neighborhood, but I'm from the area. Do you have any idea who Maguaritte Ray was? That particular section of Meadowbrook was originally called Sam Houston Gardens, and was linked to government housing, and the military. I find it very interesting.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

old_Sharpstown: thanks for the reminder. I remember Globe and Sage but couldn't remember which was at which location. The FedMart at Bellaire and Weslayan moved to Bellaire and Hillcroft when Globe went out of business. Anyone remember which one had the big, red, upside down cowboy hat?

Native Montrosian; Woolco… Weslayan and Bissonnet… that was my first job for two years while I was in high school. Were you the one who kept messing up the shoes in the shoe dept after I had just straightened them up???

• Like 1

4 hours ago, HardcoreHoustonian said:

old_Sharpstown: thanks for the reminder. I remember Globe and Sage but couldn't remember which was at which location. The FedMart at Bellaire and Weslayan moved to Bellaire and Hillcroft when Globe went out of business. Anyone remember which one had the big, red, upside down cowboy hat?

Native Montrosian; Woolco… Weslayan and Bissonnet… that was my first job for two years while I was in high school. Were you the one who kept messing up the shoes in the shoe dept after I had just straightened them up???

Oh, so FedMart was at Bellaire and Hillcroft? Makes sense...it looks like Fiesta has been there since 1984, which would put it after Globe for years but still leaves room for FedMart.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 10/6/2005 at 4:38 AM, EastEnd Susan said:

Does anyone remember a store called Sage? It was on the east side of the gulf freeway somewhere between edgebrook and shaver. It sat at a funny angle to the street and had a huge parking lot. I never went to that store and have no idea what they sold but I remember it being very big and always packed with cars.

SERVING ALL GOVT EMPLOYEES...

Each department was run by separate companies. My grandfather ran a couple of them.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...
On 1/18/2017 at 2:06 PM, Manny Castillo said:

I grew up on Bendell in the 70's and I believe I know that park you are talking about.  Kind of hidden away almost enclosed by duplexes? Fun neighborhood in the 70s.  Went to Bonner Elementary, played Little League in Freeway American, bowled at Mimosa Lanes...and visited Sage often. My mother managed a few 7-11 stores in the area.  The only thing left is Bonner.  

On 2/3/2017 at 6:01 PM, NenaE said:

Hi Manny. I didn't grow up in that neighborhood, but I'm from the area. Do you have any idea who Maguaritte Ray was? That particular section of Meadowbrook was originally called Sam Houston Gardens, and was linked to government housing, and the military. I find it very interesting.

Now you have made me want to look into my old hood's past.  That park always had me curious...the way it was situated. 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...
On 8/1/2021 at 11:55 AM, Clifford said:

I remember Sage but it was located on the north side of 610 near Meyerland. Spent much of my childhood there.

It was located on the southeast corner of Beechnut at Post Oak (later 610). Post Oak was the west border.

• Like 1

On 2/17/2016 at 6:50 AM, Lou said:

About 1962 there was a Sage on Mykawa just north of what would become the I-610 loop.

Sage used to have billboards like "Louie Welch saved at Sage!"  (Welch was mayor at the time.)  

Then Sage ran this billboard "Jesus saved at Sage!"  People did not think it was funny.  I remember my grand parents saying that it's what the world is coming to.  There were a lot of people that would not shop there anymore.

About 2 months later, I saw that the doors and windows were all boarded up.  Sage was gone.  A Target opened up there some months later.  

The store on Mykawa was a FedMart, not a Sage.

The only Sage in southeast Houston was at 8555 Gulf Freeway.

There was never a "Jesus saved at Sage" billboard. Never happened.

• Like 1

The Sage I grew up with was at Beechnut at Post Oak before there was a West Loop.  It's where Lowe's is now.   I was intrigued by their carts that would roll the purchases outside for you to drive up and get.  I recall that I bought Led Zeppelin's Physical Graffiti there.  My first rock album.....

• Like 2

• The title was changed to Sage Department Stores
  • 1 year later...

When I moved to Houston with my BF (now Husband of 45 years) we used to shop at the Sage Store Beechnut & 610. They had a pretty good camera department.One day there was a bird loose and I had my camera handy.

SAGE Chicken 03.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1