New Features

editor

By now many of you have noticed that I've been playing around a lot with the site.

While I was in London I upgraded the forum software and have spent the last few days tweaking it.

Here's what's new

- A second ad at the top of the page. Sorry about this, but as the site becomes more popular it costs more money to run. Hopefully this will make the site pay for itself.

- A Google Ads ad at the bottom of the page. Minor, non-intrusive, text ad. Sorry again. But at least we have fewer ads than most of the big web sites and certainly fewer than any of the video game web sites or KHOU.Com. Wanna help keep HAIF alive? Click on one of these.

- Topic Ratings. You'll notice that there is now a menu at the top of each topic that allows you to rate the post. This will assign it stars that others can see. Everyone's ratings are averaged together and we can see which topics are the highest rated.

- RSS. There's an improved RSS export engine now. It's actually one made by people who know what they're doing, and replaces the one I cobbled together one night while drinking Coke Zero on the couch. Those of you with browsers that supports RSS (Mozilla, Firefox, Safari, Opera, etc...) will be able to use the feature immediately. If you're in Internet Explorer, you'll have to wait for the new version (due next year I think) or get a separate RSS reader.

- Post editor. If your browser supports it (mine doesn't :( ) you should have a new and improved editor when you enter messages. You can highlight text and apply styles and see what's happening on screen.

- Subscriptions. These actually work now. They were kind of spotty before, but now when you subscribe to a thread/topic you'll actually get regular notifications when it changes. This has never worked right before now.

- The Licensed To Artefaqs Corporation line has been removed from the bottom of the page. You don't care who owns the board, so why should you wait an extra second for that line to load?

- Forum Option. There's now a Forum Options button that gives you various options that affect all the topics in a particular section. For example, you can mark everything in "General" as read.

- Post Options. There's now an Option button at the top of each thread that is similar to the Forum Option button. It also allows you to select how you view each thread (outline, threaded, etc...)

- Calendar. I think I've got the calendar figured out. If anyone knows of any events coming up, post them there. Architecture related would be great. But any Houston-related items are welcome. They won't appear immediately -- they have to be approved by a moderator first.

- Log-in names. You can log in as FredFlintstone or whatever and have your username appear as "Bedrock Guy" instead of your login name. This can help you by letting you use the same login name you use other places here.

- Reply merging. If you reply to several posts in the same thread, the replies are automatically merged with the proper quotations. It's pretty neat.

That's all I can think of for now. There are other little tweaks. Enjoy the forum. Let me know if you have any suggestions.

Why do I have my doubts that 610 users logged on Saturday afternoon? :huh:

I saw that, too. I'm not sure what happened there. I checked the server logs and there's no way that's right. I don't know what the system was counting. I wish I knew how to reset it.

The larger ad doesn't bother me. Good if it's adding profit. I have noticed a couple of glitches, such as, I'll see the so-and-so posted last on a topic, then go to that topic, then that person's post is not there. I end up having to search the member's posts to see it. No biggie, just a mild inconvenience sometimes. It's happened twice.

The larger ad doesn't bother me. Good if it's adding profit. I have noticed a couple of glitches, such as, I'll see the so-and-so posted last on a topic, then go to that topic, then that person's post is not there. I end up having to search the member's posts to see it. No biggie, just a mild inconvenience sometimes. It's happened twice.

Yeah, I'm starting to believe they released the upgrade a little early. But it's not too bad.

Have you tried editing one of your posts? Now THAT's pretty cool.