Byowner.com, 1% Realty

Michael

• 1 month later...
Any successes comments do these type ways to buy and sell property work?

I am a Realtor so legally and ethically I can't say anything negative about any other brokerages. I will say this about life in general, if it seems too good to be true, then it probably is. You get what you pay for. Feel free to e-mail me.

my sister just sold her house using forsalebyowner.com .... cost her $1000... she claims it was no problem and that the transaction went smoothly... of course her BF had to be able to show the house, but otherwise it worked out well for them and the $7,000 they didn't pay a realtor allowed them to sell their house for what they needed to...

Keep in mind you would still need to pay the Buyer's broker so it is really 1% but a minimum of 4%. A bit misleading - huh?

As far as for sale by owners go, research has shown that these usually sell for 15% less than they would have if a Realtor was involved. Therefore you aren't really saving 3% but loosing 12%.

Just something to think about...

Keep in mind you would still need to pay the Buyer's broker so it is really 1% but a minimum of 4%. A bit misleading - huh?

You don't have to. You can tell 'em to go jump in a lake.

As far as for sale by owners go, research has shown that these usually sell for 15% less than they would have if a Realtor was involved. Therefore you aren't really saving 3% but loosing 12%.

Further research revealed that 98% of all statistics are made up. It is nigh impossible to make accurate prognostications about what a house would have sold for in the real estate market because each property is different, and each and every buyer is willing to pay a different amount for the exact same property.

You can loose 15% if you're using a realtor too....there's PLENTY of clueless realtors out there, and nobody will care more about getting the most for your house than you will

Do your research, stage it, and advertise it properly, and you'll pocket that 5% or even more.

You don't have to. You can tell 'em to go jump in a lake.

Further research revealed that 98% of all statistics are made up. It is nigh impossible to make accurate prognostications about what a house would have sold for in the real estate market because each property is different, and each and every buyer is willing to pay a different amount for the exact same property.

You can loose 15% if you're using a realtor too....there's PLENTY of clueless realtors out there, and nobody will care more about getting the most for your house than you will

Do your research, stage it, and advertise it properly, and you'll pocket that 5% or even more.

You could tell them to jump in the lake but then you would lose a large number of your possible buyers.

That said, i think you can do fine selling with byowner, and you can do horrible. Same as when using a Realtor. Like you said, there are plenty of bad ones out there. There are also plenty of good ones. I think I would prefer to have a Good Realtor, one with experience, in my corner, than going it alone. Just like when i hire any professional - from a Lawyer to a Plumber - I am paying for a professional and i expect professional service and a quality job. no different for a Realtor.

• 4 weeks later...

What about buying a house with a discount brokerage firm? I know they are out there but the big discount firms are mostly selling agents aren't they?

I have kicked around the idea of starting a discount buyers agent firm. Built around a fairly knowledgeable client base that has a good idea of what they want to buy. I would rebate in some instances most of my commission. I would provide many of the services any other agent would. I know when I recently bought a house I thought to myself (I am not a full time realtor now) that I would gladly pay a realtor 1-2% to show me homes but it seemed 3% ws a little more than I would like to spend. I did the research and joined HAR in order to get Supra to look at homes. One thing I did notice is that I never looked at a FSBO that wasn't in MLS. IMO not a real effective way to try and sell your house.

I have kicked around the idea of starting a discount buyers agent firm.

You should. I had a very specific set of criteria for my house. My realtor would show me things, and send lists...I finally got to the point where I just trolled har.com for myself and told them what I wanted to see. Seems like seller's agents are really lazy for that 3%....of course I got more than my money's worth out of my realtor....we looked at houses for about a year until I finally gave up and just bought something close.

I would have to make a sliding scale for people like you that need to see a bunch of houses. We (wife and I) wouldn't be candidates for full 2% back at closing either because we looked at 20 or so houses.

You should. I had a very specific set of criteria for my house. My realtor would show me things, and send lists...I finally got to the point where I just trolled har.com for myself and told them what I wanted to see. Seems like seller's agents are really lazy for that 3%....of course I got more than my money's worth out of my realtor....we looked at houses for about a year until I finally gave up and just bought something close.

• 4 weeks later...

We did one of these services over the summer that'll get you on MLS cheaply, the end result was we paid around 3.5% total, including the buyer's realtor. During the week we were up, we had 3-5 realtors trot buyers through looking at the house every day. The house sold in 1 week and the price we got was extremely competitive. There were 4 other houses for sale within .5 miles, so we knew how to price right.

A note is we did this in Florida, and the market was hopping. Results may (and do) vary. B)

Well, I actually did start it up, its 2percent2buyer.com. Just waiting for the emails to flood in of prospective buyers?=) Seriously, i'm going to make a little run at it and see if I can garner some intrest from people for this service at a discount.

Well, I actually did start it up, its 2percent2buyer.com. Just waiting for the emails to flood in of prospective buyers?=) Seriously, i'm going to make a little run at it and see if I can garner some intrest from people for this service at a discount.

Uhmmm...who proofread your web site?

If you want to do it this way all you have to do is go to the "Send Me Knew Listings"

• 1 month later...