The Last American City By Douglas Milburn

IronTiger

http://swamplot.com/one-of-houstons-keenest-witted-local-explorers-once-rated-houstons-top-convenience-stores-and-heres-what-became-of-them/2014-12-05/

Does anyone have a copy (or better yet, a scanned PDF) of this book? From what little I've heard and read of it, it sounds like Milburn has equal mixes of the pretentiousness that comes with being a university professor and stoner philosophy, but it still sounds incredibly interesting.

**** a name and totem pole imagery that would be considered wildly offensive by today’s standards. ****

Today's standards?  Whose standards pray tell? The only people who would say such a thing are those who wake up every day in the fervent hope that someone will do or say something that offends them.  I call those people POOPERS.  "Perpetually Outraged and Offended Persons."  I was never offended by the name "U-Tot-em". And I pay absolutely NO attention to people who say they are offended.

52 minutes ago, FilioScotia said:

**** a name and totem pole imagery that would be considered wildly offensive by today’s standards. ****

Today's standards?  Whose standards pray tell? The only people who would say such a thing are those who wake up every day in the fervent hope that someone will do or say something that offends them.  I call those people POOPERS.  "Perpetually Outraged and Offended Persons."  I was never offended by the name "U-Tot-em". And I pay absolutely NO attention to people who say they are offended.

That's Lomax's writing, not Milburn's. (John N. Lomax's writing always seemed to come off as a bit hacky to me)

• The title was changed to The Last American City By Douglas Milburn

Archived