Media Racial Bias

mrell32

I'm not talking about analyzing how things are done specifically, I mean analyzing the role of things in a much broader sense.  For example, I wouldn't ask a chicken plant worker about the impact of meat on the economy, or the rise of meat-eatnig in agricultural societies.  In the same way, I would be wary of a jorunalist saying things like "there is no The Media" when in the much larger sense (in terms of the effect media has in representing things within a larger framework of values) there very clearly is a Media.  Probably not some backroom conspiracy, true, but there is a Media.

Maybe the part I have the hardest time understanding is why you assume I'm a journalist.

Anyway, this is getting way off topic.

While you did not ask for the ultimate manager's job, the president did.  So, yes, absolutely it is appropriate to debate his management skills.  In fact, it is vital, if we are to avert humanitarian crises like this one in the future.

This is not our last big hurricane.  Experts who study the patterns suggest the US is going through a period of increased activity similar to the 50s and 60s.  There are also suggestions that they may be more intense due to the increased temperature of the water in the Gulf.  So, the Feds need to be on a fast learning curve, because we will have these disasters again.

Imagine that the US is a corporation. Your subordinates do a study of probabilities of a hurricane hit on NO. "Well, boss, it looks like we're OK for up to a cat 3 storm. After that, it's probably a good time to get the people out before a cat 4 or 5 hits"

The boss ignores the study. He's busy on vacation, choking on a BEER pretzel or what ever. "YIKES, Boss! There's a catagory 5 hurricane in the Gulf on a bee-line to NO!!!" We've got 2-maybe 3-days to get those people out!" "Don't bother me! I'm on vacation-it's all I ever wanted..." What a manager, that guy! B)

[nmainguy=hopeless Progressive] B)

You guys are forgetting a very important fact. This storm turned into a Cat 5 from a Cat 3 literally overnight. It wasn't even a hurricane when it came across the Western edge of Florida. Even then, all the computer models had it moving more easterly towards the panhandle of Florida.

Also, I think having a means does make a difference in who is left behind. I work for a gas marketing company that represents and oil and gas exploration company in New Orleans. Several executives decided to stick around and ride it out in the Fairmont in Downtown New Orleans. These people could have left New Orleans in a limo or by private jet, but didn't. I'm not sure how they made it, but they are now in the Four Seasons in downtown Houston, not on a charter bus headed to the Dome, or San Antonio, or Huntsville, or somewhere else. Before we pass judgement, all of these people have lost their homes and two or three employees are still unaccounted for.

I too am pretty conservative and Support the President. Any federal measure of response will be slow. The immediate disaster response rests squarely on the state level. This is where inefficiencies have started. Every state is in charge of their own Homeland Security offices and emergency responses. In Texas, we have plans drawn up all the time, and hopefully will reevaluate them. It's obvious that LA was not prepared and the amauture hour displayed by the governor and the mayor are showing through. It seems like everyone wants to blame the president, when in fact mobilizing federal and military assistance is a time-consuming and difficult task.

Just my two cents.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the issue of race and the aftermath. Today, a group speaking at The National Press Club turned this into a racial issue. They commented on how the city should have been protected before hand by national guard units. The issue I have with this is that no one was really sure of landfall. It stretched for a hundred miles or so. Do you line the entire gulf with troops? No. The last thing we need is Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson dividing our nation. We should focus on our main priorities. I do think the government was slow and could have handled the situation better. I think the major speaking in such blunt terms was a wonderful thing. His honest assesment of the dire situation only helped.

One final point. The African-American population is 66% and most do not have cars. The average income is $10,000. This is why we are seeing so many African-American victims. Pure and simple.

I implore everyone not to make this a racial situation, it will only make the ongoing horror worse. We are Americans that should support each other 100%. I am doing my duty this weekend by helping out at the local Red Cross. I hope others open their hearts, minds and wallets.

I just wanted to share my thoughts on the issue of race and the aftermath. Today, a group speaking at The National Press Club turned this into a racial issue. They commented on how the city should have been protected before hand by national guard units. The issue I have with this is that no one was really sure of landfall. It stretched for a hundred miles or so. Do you line the entire gulf with troops? No. The last thing we need is Al Sharpton or Jesse Jackson dividing our nation. We should focus on our main priorities. I do think the government was slow and could have handled the situation better. I think the major speaking in such blunt terms was a wonderful thing. His honest assesment of the dire situation only helped.

One final point. The African-American population is 66% and most do not have cars. The average income is $10,000. This is why we are seeing so many African-American victims. Pure and simple.

I implore everyone not to make this a racial situation, it will only make the ongoing horror worse. We are Americans that should support each other 100%. I am doing my duty this weekend by helping out at the local Red Cross. I hope others open their hearts, minds and wallets.

Best comment in this thread so far.

I'm closing this topic and several others.

I'm trying to provide a service to people in desperate times. There are some HAIF members who are also trying to provide useful information. I thank those people. But the rest of you should be ashamed of yourselves. Why would anyone from Louisiana want to stay in Houston after they read all the hatred, bigotry (from both sides), and venom you people have posted here? No, I'm not pretending I'm innocent. I should set a better example.

The purpose of having this Hurricane Katrina section was to provide important information to people in need. Instead it's been hijacked by a bunch of people who want to lay blame, and play the race card.

Well, you're not going to do it on my dime. Anyone who wants to talk about those sorts of things is welcome to do it either in the Way Off Topic section of this forum, or on another web site.

Those who want to post constructive, helpful information in the Katrina section are welcome. Those who want to provide thoughtful, carefully considered insight into the circumstances these people are in are also welcome. Discussion of current events surrounding the hurricane and the future of New Orleans is also welcome. Everyone else can just slag off.

Topic closed.

Archived