Trading Fairs Store At 4412 North Shepherd Dr.

IronTiger

I had been looking for this conversation to find that it was actually buried as a PM conversation (which I shared with a select number of HAIF members), which I've decided to summarize and share for the rest of you. As some of you know, there was a vacant Kmart near West Little York Road and North Freeway called Trading Fair IV that was torn down a few years back. Ever wonder if there were other Trading Fair stores? Well, here's the answer. Yes there were. Here are some snippets of that conversation, where I did research (must have been through Google, as I don't remember how I came across all this.

Due to problems copying quotes, the middle quote is from sevfiv and the top and bottom ones are mine.

Trading Fair I was harder, with only a few listings to 4412 North Shepherd Drive, which is now an LA Fitness built on a vacant lot. Went to Google Earth, fiddled with the time slider, and surprise! It was a parking lot for a very old store of some kind, looking like a Globe or Sage of some sort. Some more digging on the HAIF reveals that the store was a Shopper's Fair a very long time ago.

Looks like [Trading Fair II] was built around 1971 - my 1976 directory lists 5515 South Loop East as "Mangurians." No idea.

Though if this is the right company, it did start in 1971:

https://mycpa.cpa.state.tx.us/coa/servlet/cpa.app.coa.CoaGetTp?Pg=tpid&Search_Nm=mangurian%20&Button=search&Search_ID=17513318901

Additional HAIF digging says that it used to be a Levitz Furniture, though Trading Fair II was there even back in the mid to late 1980s.

Just for fun, I looked up Trading Fair III and found that there were multiple hits to an old Home Depot just south of Almeda Mall (12336 Gulf Freeway), which is old and small compared to examples today. Here's a

picture from Loopnet.

Trading Fair 2 was in an old Star Furniture building (may have been Levits before Star, it was Star when we moved here in 75) on the South Loop.

It was owned by Warren and Vera Hinkle. Warren's tag line was 'have fun'. 

My uncle the sports artist had a booth there... I worked for him occasionally... I used to hang out with Tommy the maintenance dude there when we were teenagers... Last time I saw him was at the first Motley Crue show at the Astroarena

• The title was changed to The Answer To Where The Four Trading Fairs Were
  • The title was changed to Trading Fairs Store At 4412 North Shepherd Dr.