Glen Echo Apartments

Linda

I am trying to find information on an apartment complex that we lived in from 1967 - 1969. The apartments were next to an interstate that ended just past them. I think it may have been

288, but I am not sure. 610 was not complete.  There was a YMCA close, a shopping center on the other side of the apartment, and a high school within walking distance. It is very important to me to locate the area and, if possible, pictures of the apartments. Does anyone know how I might research this without actually driving to Houston.

Thanks, 

Linda

Thank you IT, but I'm certain it was not that close to I10.  I did see where one of the YMCA's is or was in the downtown area....so, this may be the proximity...I may call the high school in Louisiana and see if they possibly have the name of the school where I took the course that was transferred for me to graduate. I had hoped I could find an old Houston telephone directory on line. This would give me the address. However, I think I'm going to have to drive to Houston one day. Thank you again! 

What about the Southeast side.  There was a Glen Echo apartments at 7939 Sarita.

That is walking distance from the YMCA right off the Loop.  The Loop would have been under construction in the late 60s.

Milby HS is not too far north of that location as well.   Definitely walkable.

Gnu, that's it!  I just found it....wow...the place is sure run down. I don't know why I remembered the YMCA, but I did remember walking back and forth to school every day. Apparently the school has moved? On Google the building looks vacant and there is a sign on the fence that says Tellepsen. I remembered the free way ended right past the apartments, so apparently the loop was in the process of being built. Thank you very much!  This has saved me a trip to Houston for a time. Wow...so much change. Thank you again. Linda

Ahh.....apparently the school is under renovation?  I found this picture and I remember walking thru those doors...The picture was taken in 2014...but I read where they were going to keep the "old" original building built in 1920's???. 

Milby High School (1).jpg

14 hours ago, Linda said:

Gnu, that's it!  I just found it....wow...the place is sure run down. I don't know why I remembered the YMCA, but I did remember walking back and forth to school every day. Apparently the school has moved? On Google the building looks vacant and there is a sign on the fence that says Tellepsen. I remembered the free way ended right past the apartments, so apparently the loop was in the process of being built. Thank you very much!  This has saved me a trip to Houston for a time. Wow...so much change. Thank you again. Linda

Well, there's a freeway that runs right next to Milby and abruptly ends, built in the mid-1960s and planned to go through Harrisburg, but ultimately never did due to neighborhood resistance and lack of funding.

On 7/7/2016 at 9:15 AM, IronTiger said:

Well, there's a freeway that runs right next to Milby and abruptly ends, built in the mid-1960s and planned to go through Harrisburg, but ultimately never did due to neighborhood resistance and lack of funding.

I noticed that freeway, but the one I was speaking about must have been the 610 loop.....I remember it passing on the side of the apartments and then ending.....I thought it might have been 288....but, it had to have been the loop....I was only 15, so I didn't drive and wouldn't have paid much attention to alot things 15 year olds notice today. But, I am so thankful to have found the apartments. I will probably make a trip in the near future to see if I can find anything that may have pictures of the area during that period. 

• 2 months later...

Linda, you may be thinking of James S. Deady Jr. High School. It sits on Broadway, close to Loop 610. A YMCA sits on 610, south of the junior high school. Gulfgate Shopping City was located at I-45 (Gulf Freeway) and Loop 610, close by (west) of these buildings. Glen Echo Apts., yeah, that name sounds familiar, too. 

• 7 months later...

Archived