Christmas In New York City

I have some friends who are planning a trip to NYC during the Christmas season. I've been, about 20 years ago, and don't know what to recommend seeing there. They have two children, both in early teens, going with them. Besides visiting Ground Zero, what else would YOU recommend that they see or do there?

there's so much to do there, they should just check out some travel guides online and see what interests them.

for xmas, the rockefeller center tree is a must see, and they can take their kids skating out there.

I would also skip the Statue of Liberty and trying to hit the roof of the Empire State building. We spend every other Thanksgiving in NYC and the lines for those events are absolutely mind boggling. If the weather is agreeable hit the Bronx Zoo. I loved going to that place, although I have not been in probably a decade.

Christmas is a great time to be in NYC. Start at the Empire State Building and then walk over to Fifth Avenue and walk up toward Central Park stopping at Rockefeller Center. Then at the park go ice skating or take a carriage ride, if available. Great way to blow a day in the city.

In addition to the tree and skating at Rockefeller Center (caution: big crowds and long lines), check out the display windows at Macys and also at Saks Fifth Avenue. The kids will like it. And take a stroll along 5th Avenue between Central Park (The Plaza Hotel) and the Rockefeller Center area for enjoyable siteseeing. Again, the size of the crowds are huge, so be sure to give yourself plenty of time.

Also worth checking out (though can be pricey) is a Rockettes show at Radio City Music Hall. A couple of years ago, I also saw a production of "A Christmas Carol" at the Theater at Madison Square Garden. Lots of kids in the audience, and they seemed to be having a good time.

If you're there for Christmas itself, I recommend going by St. Patrick's Cathedral and sitting in on part (or all) of a mass service.

Regarding Ground Zero: I'm not even sure what's left to see there. There may be some sort of memorial there now, but many of the new permanent buildings aren't up yet. The rest of that downtown area doesn't have much to see during holiday time, particularly if it's a weekend and Wall Street's closed.

Well WTC 7 should be finished and open (though not to you) by Christmas. For the main "ground zero" area there won't be much to see other than a hole, and possibly some foundation work on the freedom tower. Though I wouldn't bet on it.

Also if they are interested in buildings Bank of America center and the NY Times building will be relatively far into construction. Both will be around 1000' (with spires). Also I would recommend going ahead and braving the lines to go to the ESB ob. deck. They would regret it if they didn't go (at least if they are like me).

We're going from the 22nd through the 26th. Walking and window gazing is my favorite. We are also going to the renovated MOMA-I don't expect long lines there.

Try the ESB and definitely Macy's windows for the kids! And the park. Oh yeah! Go to the new Time-Warner Center on Columbus Circle-they have a Whole Foods market with a great sit-down deli! [i love good deli :D ] The World Trade Center site is pretty much a hole in the ground but you have to see it to understand the magnitude of what occured there. :(

We are also going to the renovated MOMA-I don't expect long lines there.

Are you kidding? I know this summer there were pretty good sized crowds to get into the MOMA. I'd expect it to be crowded at the holiday season too...plus with tickets costing $20/person now, it might not be the best option for a large family visiting New York. The kids might have trouble with the Jackson Pollock pieces too...but, if the adults have extra time (and money) it's definately worth checking out.