Houston Murder Capital Of The Past

IronTiger

So I was hanging out with some people in the Heights and one of them brought up the fact that the Heights used to be a really bad place to be, I mean, after all, we were on the streets of the Heights at night. Thirty years ago that would've been a bad idea. The horror stories from Purpledevil in the Heights sound a bit like "1985-A Hill Valley" from Back to the Future Part II, and while I don't doubt them, one of the guys I met mentioned that the police force only had some 54 detectives assigned to non-theft duties at one time. Is this true? I mean, I know in 1980 you couldn't even call 9-1-1 (I'm citing the execution-style murders at the Fair Lanes bowling alley), even though it was adopted by many cities at the time, but only 54 detectives in a city with millions of people? How did anything ever get done?

Short 

8 hours ago, IronTiger said:

only 54 detectives in a city with millions of people? How did anything ever get done?

Short answer - it didn't.  Dean Corll grabbed kids from the Heights for three years in the early '70s, and the only reason the case broke was because one of his young accomplices killed him and called the police.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Houston Murder Capital Of The Past?
  • The title was changed to Houston Murder Capital Of The Past