Check Your Radios: 96-1 FM

Purpledevil

Happy Easter to all my fellow HAIFers! It appears that our latest translator has lit up here in Houston. K241CM Kerrville (will receive new COL) has come to life, as I am picking up a listenable signal at 96-1, playing English language Christian pop music. No identification whatsover, just wall to wall music. Sounds a lot like KSBJ's NGEN format, minus the rap. 

If this is K241CM, it has to be wreaking havoc on the Rice Lunch Special (KBLT-LP), as I'm significantly north of K241CM's proposed coverage area.

As always, reception reports from around town are most appreciated.

The FCC's map of 96-1 K241CM's coverage area: 

http://fccdata.org/?facid=140620

Well, never mind. I no more than hit the submit button and within two minutes the audio abruptly stopped and after around 30 seconds the plug got pulled. Now, just an extremely weak Rice Lunch Special @ 241. Testing on Easter day? Now, that's a dedicated engineer.

You hear anything about this, Joe? I know you speak to Chuck Tiller from time to time. When did Salem build this out, and begin testing? Did I just happen to catch the tail end of the initial testing for KTEK's new FM translator? Is KTEK/K241CM going Christian Contemporary? That would be a marked and welcome improvement over the current format of 1110, especially on the weekends.

16 minutes ago, stan said:

Too much movement of translators causing clutter and interference. 

Yes sir, but as BTO once sang, you ain't seen nothing yet. There's a load more to come, like K297BT, K268CW, & K287BQ.

K297BT really piques my interest. The Pastor is cuckoo for cocoa puffs if he truly thinks that translator can co-exist with KQQK on the same channel. All he has to do is contact the owners of KQLC in Sealy to learn why they now operate at 90-7 instead of 107-9, and KQLC is just up the road in Brookshire. Trying to light up K297BT on channel 300 down in Simonton is going to prove to be an absolute effort in futility. Maybe someone can talk some since in to him poste haste.

Of course, K297BT really ought to light up on its licensed facility on 107-3 in Sealy first. Yet another one with a License to Cover but not covering the first square foot in SE Texas. Just like sister translator K287BQ.

I can't wait until the God's honest truth is revealed on all of this tomfoolery. I've been following radio for way too long to not see that the hammer is about to drop and drop hard on this group and all of those associated with their hoppin' translators. 

Archived