Oops???

mrtejano

I just heard an ID on 98.7, DONDE LA CUMBIA NO PARA. 
Which means WHERE CUMBIAS DONT END. And the voice over guy from La Mejor 104.5 was going to say something and then it was shut off and went back to the music.
Is this a sign of their new format?? 

I've lost track of all the different formats 101-7 in Bay City has had since Lenard Liberman bought the facility from 5 Star some 15 years ago, but there's been a bunch. You are right, they both were tried and didn't last. Admittedly, nothing stands a chance of being successful on KNTE as long as it's pretending to be a Houston targeted station, so saying Sonido and/or Baila specifically failed because of the format choice would be unfair. If 98-7 is to give it a shot, it won't fare much better. Sure, K254BZ has better coverage of Houston than KNTE does, but certainly not a big enough of a signal nor listener base here in Houston to succeed. Why Guevara doesn't make an attempt at relaunching a Tejano station here is baffling to me. K254BZ would make a fine home for a daily fix of Selena, La Mafia, Emilio, Little Joe, etc.

It'd certainly get my vote.

50 minutes ago, mrtejano said:

And I'm assuming that due to La Raza 98.5 K254BZ can't move any closer to Houston?

What about KNTE? Can't they move closer to Houston?

Didnt 103.3 have a CP to move closer to Houston as well? 

That is correct. KTJM prohibits any movement of K254BZ towards downtown. It is also the reason the signal of 98-7 is highly directional towards Needville.

KNTE is stuck with what it currently has as a result of KAYD Silsbee operating on the same frequency. It also can't move northward due to another co-channel, KSAM Huntsville. When Liberman purchased 96-9 & 101-7, he upgraded both of them to the full legally allowed specifications. 96-9 got the better upgrade because the only facility it was required to protect was adjacent 97-1 KTHT Cleveland. As a result, it went all the way to 100kW, at over 500 meters. However, the tower site is no longer in El Campo itself. Instead, Liberman had to move it down near the water. Bigger coverage area, but a fair share of KXBJ's signal covers marine life in the Gulf. That's the best 96-9 can ever get, but that's perfect for what KSBJ is doing with it, simulcasting 89-3. Quite a formidable coverage are as a result of the dual signals, much like what Cox has combining 106-9 & 107-5 together.

KJOJ-FM has had that permit to move for several years now, and I've never seen a license to cover filed, so I assume it's not built yet. Some days, 103-3 screams into north Houston, others it's MIA altogether. I'm tired of being fooled into thinking that Liberman has actually cranked up the juice from the new transmit site, so I now just keep an eye out for any potential License to Cover being submitted for filing by Liberman on 103-3. Nothing yet. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if his hand is forced now, as K254BZ must be giving 98-5 a lot of trouble down there in SW Houston. I figure he's going to need the upgraded 103-3 built out to overcome that obstacle.

I like your Idea of LBC (not to be confused with LBI) bringing Tejano back. They should move La Nueva  to 98.7 and Start their Tejano on 94.1. T94.1 has a good ring to it instead of T98.7.

Lets not forget LBC has a CP for 105.3 maybe the can simulcast 98.7 and 105.3? But that wouldn't happen cause they're basically covering the same area.

Archived