A Memorial Sidewalk Art Installation For Alex Hill

trymahjong

This week the Neartown President received this letter:

My name is Matt Brollier and I am working with a group of volunteers that is interested in raising funds to install artwork in the crosswalks at the intersection of Taft and Westheimer. We are seeking consideration of a letter of support from the Neartown Superneighborhood Association and are prepared to make a brief presentation to your board. I understand you have a meeting tonight, and we would be happy to present if there is time in your agenda. Our group started this effort following the hit and run death of our good friend Alex Hill at that intersection on January 8th of this year. In January, four of Alex's acquaintances spoke at Public Session of City Council, where several council members expressed support and directed us to the Montrose Management District. We spoke to the District earlier this month seeking support for our project and we have been directed to their Mobility and Visual Improvement subcommittee, chaired by CM David Robinson. Attached is the presentation we delivered to the District. I will update this for Neartown. Please let me know if tonight would be suitable for us to approach the board. Further, please let me know if you have any thoughts in general about seeking approval from your organization. We also intend to seek consideration of support from the Avondale Civic Association when they meet next in March.

Thank you,

Avondale Civic invited him to present at their March 3 business meeting

I really like this idea.

• 2 weeks later...

Heard the presentation and saw the flyer.

This must be in early stages. The speaker worked for COH.

Most of the Q&A was about the other crosswalk art installations at Elgin and Lousiana and at the Menil--neither seems to be holding up to wear and tear and that bothered everyone. The other talk centered on the $25,000 goal and how that money could be better used for safety.

• The title was changed to A Memorial Sidewalk Art Installation For Alex Hill

Archived