Film Photography

samagon

Does anyone still shoot film?

So in an effort to channel my inner hipster, through unfettering myself from digital and embracing all things analog, I'm dusting off the old FM2.

I remember a time when I could walk into any walgreens and take my pick from a plethora of 35mm film.

I can still hit up Houston Camera Exchange and pick up enough rolls to last me until the next time I want to drive to that side of town, so that's no issue, but development!

ugh.

I shot a roll of film, took it to walgreens, I was expecting them to say they didn't have the lab equipment any more, that's fine, I'm probably the only person who wants film developed. However, I was flabbergasted when I went to pick up my developed film and they didn't give me negatives!

So this brings me to my question/s:

Is there no where in Houston I can go and get it developed in an hour (I seem to have this dream that HCE doesn't develop either)?

Is it standard practice to have them just destroy the negatives rather than return them?

Having never taken a photography class in my life, how hard is it to develop my own film?

Here's one link on negatives http://petapixel.com/2015/07/27/psa-many-film-processing-services-no-longer-return-your-original-film/

Yelp has a list of places that develop film here

I did a bunch of black and white developing, which was pretty simple. Color is harder. Do a search, I 've seen a bunch of online resources in the past.

Archived