Hardy Toll Road Widening

Sparrow

The Hardy Toll Road is in the process of being widened to three lanes each way from FM 1960 northward to the under construction Grand Parkway.

Also of significance, all toll booths will be removed by the summer of 2016 to make the HTR an all-electronic toll facility.

http://communityimpact.com/2015/08/24/hctra-begins-work-on-170-million-hardy-toll-road-overhaul/

Why won't HCTRA install toll-by-plate readers like every other toll road agency that uses all-electronic tolling in this state?

I believe it's because HCTRA is a government entity operating the toll road, as opposed to private entities operating the others toll roads in the state, they are forbidden from extending lines of credit, which is what "pay by plate" would be considered.

I believe it's because HCTRA is a government entity operating the toll road, as opposed to private entities operating the others toll roads in the state, they are forbidden from extending lines of credit, which is what "pay by plate" would be considered.

Why couldn't that function be contracted out to a third party? NTTA is a government entity as well, and they manage to run a pay-by-plate program.

Why couldn't that function be contracted out to a third party? NTTA is a government entity as well, and they manage to run a pay-by-plate program.

As does whoever runs the toll roads in Austin. Once I found out I didn't need a tag in Austin, I just took the toll roads, and paid later.

My suspicion is that they rely heavily both on the $10-15 activation fees and sitting $10 account balances in the EZ Tag program for leveraging purposes, and do not want to surrender that capital stream.

I'm probably completely wrong, but that's what it seems like.

My suspicion is that they rely heavily both on the $10-15 activation fees and sitting $10 account balances in the EZ Tag program for leveraging purposes, and do not want to surrender that capital stream.

I'm probably completely wrong, but that's what it seems like.

Get a Texas Tag. No initial charge.

Archived