Houston Address Dillemma

For some people that live in unincorporated area with another municipal address (such as Sugar Land, TX; Katy, TX) are likely residing within Houston ETJ. Most of them don't really know those local boundaries, assuming with that particular municipal address that they should be annexed by that city. Unfortunately, the City of Houston will have first dibs on that area.

Houston is having trouble annexing the land within its ETJ due to the mess left by Kingwood and Clear Lake. Houston should start changing postal address before even considering any annexation plans. Why the city would not change those confusing postal addresses?

For instance, New territory in Sugar Land used to be within Houston ETJ; however, the postal address is actually saying the City of Sugar Land. Everntally, through local politics, it now legitimately falls into the ETJ of Sugar Land.

Those census designated place or CDP such as Cypress and Spring are unincorporated within Houston ETJ. Those communities are known for opposing Houston annexation. And who can blame them for it? Those areas carry their own postal addresses(logically should be Houston, TX), plus they think they won't be would-be Houstonians by talking about their address of residence. If they talk about it, it is likely that they will act out to resist annexation by Houston.

Kingwood was also a CDP. Is that true people in there still using Kingwood address despite fact they are in Houston proper. If this is the case, then no wonder there are still movements toward deannexation.

Those statements conclude my final question. If an unincorporated area within Houston ETJ with another incorporated city address(e.g. Cinco Ranch within Houston ETJ with Katy, TX) is annexed by Houston, would those residents change their addresss to Houston? What would be like for them, if this occurs?

Those city addresses have nothing to do with Houston or its ETJ. They are post office addresses. Houston couldn't change them if they wanted to. For instance, the Spring Post Office extends all the way up into the Woodlands. That is the official city...Spring, not Woodlands.

Of course, none of it matters. Only the ZIP Code.

When I was young, my address in New Jersey changed five times in three years. I can still remember them all.

RR#1 Box 758M

RR#3 Box 758M

RR#3 Box 791

RR#3 Box 545

545 Grandview Drive

I've read that when your address changes it looks bad on your credit, even if you didn't move.

RedScare is right. The post office sets the official city in your address, and it may very well differ from the city your home physically sits in. My sister has lived in two places in the Clear Lake area that were within the Houston city limits but her official address was in Webster, because her home was within that post office's area.