Fault Line - Remedies

First and foremost, HIRE A COMPETENT GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEER! Don't go cheap on this, don't take the advice of a contractor, hire a licensed Professional Engineer specializing in Geotechnical Engineering. Make sure he/she has experience in foundations on fault lines.

I am NOT a geotechnical engineer, but as I understand it, you CANNOT use a slab-on-grade foundation on a fault line.

I believe you need some kind of pile foundation. The house would rest on piles driven deep into the ground, and the depth of the piles helps to somewhat alleviate the shifting of the surface soils. In addition to that, you need some kind of hydraulic system on top of each pile to level the house when the piles rise or fall.

If I were you, I'd RUN LIKE HELL! It's going to be a headache.

As for Title Insurance, I don't see how this would have any affect on someone insuring your title to the house. However, HOME INSURANCE is probably a totally different story. That may be a headache as well.

First and foremost, HIRE A COMPETENT GEOTECHNICAL ENGINEER!  Don't go cheap on this, don't take the advice of a contractor, hire a licensed Professional Engineer specializing in Geotechnical Engineering.  Make sure he/she has experience in foundations on fault lines.

I am NOT a geotechnical engineer, but as I understand it, you CANNOT use a slab-on-grade foundation on a fault line.

I believe you need some kind of pile foundation.  The house would rest on piles driven deep into the ground, and the depth of the piles helps to somewhat alleviate the shifting of the surface soils.  In addition to that, you need some kind of hydraulic system on top of each pile to level the house when the piles rise or fall.

If I were you, I'd RUN LIKE HELL!  It's going to be a headache. 

As for Title Insurance, I don't see how this would have any affect on someone insuring your title to the house.  However, HOME INSURANCE is probably a totally different story.  That may be a headache as well.

Thank you very much for the advice. I think the RUN LIKE HELL may be the best path:)

• 5 years later...

Never given this much thought before, but what happens to swimming pools in area that have these problems? Guess that would be a major headache, as well. Draining and concrete patch up?