Blue Dogs

According to mikemcguff.com, Fox 26 weekend morning meteorologist Caitlin Espinosa is leaving the green screen for good & calling it a TV career after 8 years.

"The past 6 months I have been dealing with personal health issues, & I took it as a sign to leave the TV industry," Espinosa told mikemcguff.com. "My health is good now but I need a job with fewer environmental stresses. The cold studio, long unusual hours really made things worse for me."

Don't expect any goodbye videos for Espinosa just yet. She said that she signed a contract extension with Fox 26 to helping out until the station finds a replacement. McGuff heard other Houston weather people are interested in her job.

http://mikemcguff.blogspot.com/2015/01/caitlin-espinosa-to-leave-fox-26-kriv-youtube.html?m=1

http://www.myfoxhouston.com/

People leaving the tv industry isn't a new thing. There is a lot more that goes into tv than just being pretty on tv. Being a broadcast meteorologist as well (in a different city), I can tell you that I have also been looking to get out of the industry. The hours are long. I start my morning every day at 330a. You often have to work weekends or holidays. You can't take vacation during sweeps months (February, May, July, November) and the pay is low---and getting lower as time moves on. Yes, there are some people who do well financially in the industry, even in the Houston market but those days are quickly fading. TV just isn't as fun or exciting as it used to be. I tell everybody who wants to get into tv that they need to seriously re-think their decision. 

People leaving the tv industry isn't a new thing. There is a lot more that goes into tv than just being pretty on tv. Being a broadcast meteorologist as well (in a different city), I can tell you that I have also been looking to get out of the industry. The hours are long. I start my morning every day at 330a. You often have to work weekends or holidays. You can't take vacation during sweeps months (February, May, July, November) and the pay is low---and getting lower as time moves on. Yes, there are some people who do well financially in the industry, even in the Houston market but those days are quickly fading. TV just isn't as fun or exciting as it used to be. I tell everybody who wants to get into tv that they need to seriously re-think their decision.

So what does that mean for the future of the weather meteorologists in TV stations?

What is the pay like?

That's difficult to say. Each market and each position (evenings, mornings, weekends) each have their own pay scale. The bigger the city, the bigger the pay. The smaller the city, the lower the pay---in general. 

Speaking for myself, I started in market 89 out of 210. That's still considered small market. I was making.........$9/hr. That was back in 2007. In the city I'm in now, it's significanly higher and plus I'm salary but still, I'm not hauling truck loads of money like all my friends think I do.

That's difficult to say. Each market and each position (evenings, mornings, weekends) each have their own pay scale. The bigger the city, the bigger the pay. The smaller the city, the lower the pay---in general.

Speaking for myself, I started in market 89 out of 210. That's still considered small market. I was making.........$9/hr. That was back in 2007. In the city I'm in now, it's significanly higher and plus I'm salary but still, I'm not hauling truck loads of money like all my friends think I do.

Now that's something for future news industry professionals to think about!

Archived