Landmark Tower To Be Demolished

So, they're going to demolish the Landmark Tower in Fort Worth and replace it with a surface parking lot. I'm sure I speak for more than a few people when I call this a terrible setback for that city.

Does anyone have any pictures of the Landmark Tower? It would be great if they are your pictures and you can let me post them on Glass Steel and Stone so the tower can live on in cyberspace after it's been demolished. Even if they're not your pictures, post them here anyway so everyone can see what will soon become history.

Well there are some pics here

http://www.emporis.com/en/wm/bu/?id=122391

But I don't think they would wan't them reposted.

That is pathetic that it will be replaced by surface parking. Is there a reason it is being demolished? Is the owner just to lazy to keep up with it and would rather have a somewhat hassle free parking lot? I want to say that when I first heard speculation that it may be demolished, that it would be replaced by a building. But surface parking! This is just sad.

EDIT: So I guess that 50 story XTO Hdq. didn't work out.

Edited by YakuzaIce

A couple of things its really sad that its gonna be torn down. But if it must. All I can say is Fort Worth does need some more parking in the downtown area. The parking we do have as of now is pretty tight. In some space lots where almost door to door. Or bumper to bumper. I hate to see it go. I would rather have it stay up versus being torn down. That would be a great place for a hotel tower.

Yeah, it's kind of a blow to FW. But, downtown FW is nearly 100% occupied for Class A and B office space (98 or 99%), and most Class C space is being converted to residential. The Landmark Tower was Class C space and was slated to be converted to resedential before the 2000 tornado, but the tornado damaged the building so heavily that it was no longer feasible to convert the building. The former owner went into bankrupcy and the building was bought by XTO energy - a huge corporate citizen of dowtown FW. XTO is already occupying 4 buildings in DTFW and is restoring a historical building. They are also growing very fast and will need future office space very quickly. They've recently bought several contingous blocks of downtown office space/blocks. They considered what to do with the building and have determined that it's not financially prudent to convert/redevelop the Landmark because the building apparently is no longer structually sound due to the Tornado damage. (So, technically, the tornado actually destroyed the Landmark). XTO was considering replacing the building with a 50+ story mixed-use tower (retail, office, residential) but has decided not too right now. They may eventually build something on the site or sell it to someone who wants to develop the site. Only time will tell what kind of developments spring up on that site, muchless in the rest of DT FW... But, given the fact that FW is the fastest growing big city in the country (percentage wise) and the fact that downtown is almost 100% leased, developments have to be around the corner. Plus, DTFW is sort of preparing areas of downtown for redevelopment. The entire area around the convention center and along Lancaster - where the old I30 overpass used to be - is being redeveloped. There are 3 major buildings along Lancastar's south side that used to be seperated from DTFW by the i30 overpass; The T&P Depot, the Main Post office, and the T&P Warehouse. The T&P Depot is being converted to residential now, the Post Office is possibly going to become the new City Hall, and there are unannounced planns to convert the T&P Warehouse to mixed use. Lancaster itself is schedule for an extreme makeover and the new Convention Center Hotel is going up across the street from the convention center....

Thanks for the context. It's good to hear a different perspective on these things.

While I'm glad that Fort Worth's occupancy rate is so high, I'd be disappointed to see an office or residential tower go up there. I'd rather see a medium-sized Art Deco style building. Save the glass and glitter for Dallas. Let Fort Worth do its own thing. I only visited Fort Worth once, but really loved the feel of its downtown.

Thanks for the context.  It's good to hear a different perspective on these things.

While I'm glad that Fort Worth's occupancy rate is so high, I'd be disappointed to see an office or residential tower go up there.  I'd rather see a medium-sized Art Deco style building.  Save the glass and glitter for Dallas.  Let Fort Worth do its own thing.  I only visited Fort Worth once, but really loved the feel of its downtown.

Well I will differ on you a little bit their. Fort Worth can easly handle more glass and glitter. To me no matter what Fort Worth does it will always be Fort Worth. Nice, Clean, Friendly, And the cops that patrol the streets on bikes are really awesome. One help me carry my bags to the car. The nightlife is great especially on Friday and Saturday. On weekdays it can be a little low. If any we need more hotels Downtown. Make the hotel high enough so that you can see the city and the freeway. Like the Wyndham in Arlington. One thing is for sure. What ever Fort Worth does I will in the end probably like. Actually the tornado was probably a good thing for Fort Worth. Because before the tornado things were starting to stagnate in Fort Worth. After the tornado things have really pick up in Downtown. Things are moving forward in Fort Worth.

^I agree. FW is great the way it is, but it does need some more glass and glitter. Dallas and FW will never have the same feel to them. FW could add massive amounts of skyscrapers adn still feel very different than Dallas. I think that FW does need a few more skycrapers. They will always add the art deco buildings. But, a few new scrapers would help the city transform the image to one of a more modern city - and finally leave a little of that dang "Cowtown" image behind.

Thanks for the context.  It's good to hear a different perspective on these things.

While I'm glad that Fort Worth's occupancy rate is so high, I'd be disappointed to see an office or residential tower go up there.  I'd rather see a medium-sized Art Deco style building.  Save the glass and glitter for Dallas.  Let Fort Worth do its own thing.  I only visited Fort Worth once, but really loved the feel of its downtown.

When Did Glass And glitter become a bad thing? I think that Ft. Worth has preserved and restored enough old garrages. I think it is time to start Proposing more edgy ,daring projects for this is the only true way to grow up as a city.Not saying that Ft. Worth is not established but It could use a bit more BIG BOY stuff to really be able to compare itself to it's fellow big brothers(Houston & Dallas). Put it this way ....Yah Ft. Worth's downtown is 100% leased and yadda yadda yadda.But they only have about three sky scrapers. Who couldn't fill Three skyscrapers to the max? And then the three that they do have are all under 30 stories.

Yeah, I'm with the others. I lived in FtW for 8 years, and they have done a wonderful job of preserving both homes and buildings. But, some new buildings that show forward thinking while paying homage to the surrounding architecture, would really set downtown apart. It's already probably Texas' most beautiful downtown. Some new construction won't hurt it.

When Did Glass And glitter become a bad thing? I think that Ft. Worth has preserved and restored enough old garrages. I think it is time to start Proposing more edgy ,daring projects for this is the only true way to grow up as a city.Not saying that Ft. Worth is not established but It could use a bit more BIG BOY stuff to really be able to compare itself to it's fellow big brothers(Houston & Dallas). Put it this way ....Yah Ft. Worth's downtown is 100% leased and yadda yadda yadda.But they only have about three sky scrapers. Who couldn't fill Three skyscrapers to the max? And then the three that they do have are all under 30 stories.

I agree that FW needs more glass and glitter and that it pales in comparison to Dallas and Houston, but you're underestimating the size and number of buildings in FW a bit. But, given the "Dallas" in your handle that's not unexpected. Dallas has always looked down its nose at FW... that probably won't change anytime soon. But, FW is also growing at a pace that it will more than likely be bigger than Dallas in 20 years--according to most experts.

I agree that FW needs more glass and glitter and that it pales in comparison to Dallas and Houston, but you're underestimating the size and number of buildings in FW a bit. But, given the "Dallas" in your handle that's not unexpected. Dallas has always looked down its nose at FW... that probably won't change anytime soon. But, FW is also growing at a pace that it will more than likely be bigger than Dallas in 20 years--according to most experts.

Ok willy......That's just like saying the city of Dallas' population would catch up with Houston's poulation which is about double the size. If someone said this to you would you believe it?..No. While it is possible for this to happen, I really think it would take way more than 20 yrs. Yes Ft. Worth is growing @ a fast rate,and it probably is possible for Ft. worth to surpass dallas' population, but for that to happen dallas' stats would have to stay the same,not gainig any residences for a 20 yr. stretch.........And that's not the like of Dallas to sit still. In fact..in 20 years Dallas will be huge!!!!

^^^^^^

I read that because FW is less than half developed and has tons of vacant land, it is very possible that FW will surpass Dallas in population. Dallas is pretty built out, also it still mainly ignores anything south of 1-30. The intown building boom is not really attracting families. Dallas has horrible schools and high crime and a ridiculous, corrupt city government. Fort Worth has a chance to learn from Dallas's mistakes, and keep people from fleeing the city like they have done in Dallas. I don't know if you've driven around FW lately, but the housing boom is incredible.

Dallasboi,

I wasn't just making up random statistics... I was paraphrasing what I've read from multiple experts. The current predictions are that FW will eventually outgrow Dallas... How long will that take is up in the air. Some experts say it could happen in the next 20 years, other say it will take 30 or 40, but most agree that eventually it will happen. Dallas's growth has slowed. Troyboy is correct. Dallas is nearly built-out landwise, while FW still has a full 1/3rd of the land vacant and ready for development, and has extrajurisdictional territory that could easily double the foot print of the city by adding another 300 sq miles to the city limits. In addition to available land, FW is booming and Dallas is not. Sure, there is lots of construction in Dallas, but the population boom is in FW not Dallas.

Last year Dallas only added 8,098 people. FW added 21.485 for a total of 618,600. But, the projections are staggering. According to the North Central Texas Council of Governments, the FW population projection for 2005 was 580,152. FW blew that out of the water. They underestimated FW by 38,448. In addition to that, the experts and trends indicate that this is just the beginning of the boom in FW as the population trends are moving toward growth on the western end of the metroplex as the eastern end builds-out. This is just a shift in where people are moving within the metroplex. Since 2000, DFW has added around 750,000 people. Whether or not it will ever happen? Only time will tell. However, FW is set to double in size in the next 20-50 years. But, that's like predicting where a hurricane will come ashore. It could fall on the lower end, or it could exceed expectation. Only time will tell. But, Dallas is slowing down and moving down the population rankings while FW continues to leap frog over cities. Ten years ago, FW was the 29th largest city in America. Today it's the 19th and on the verge of overtaking a couuple more cities in the next couple years.

Don't get me wrong, Dallas will continue to grow - as always. However, it will be out-paced by other Metroplex cities. The crime and city govt in Dallas play a major role in the slowing of growth in that city. Dallas will have to re-invent itself in order to regain the momentum it once had.