Loews State Theatre At 1014 Main St.

devonhart

Wow. I love that aerial shot of the old Katy Road coming into Houston. You can see the beginnings of the westbound lanes of what became I-10. I remember that highway. There was NOTHING between Katy and the western edge of the Spring Branch area around Bunker Hill and Campbell. Wide open spaces, mostly rice fields. Today it is completely filled in with continuous suburbs.

A lot of Houston people got small roles and were used as extras in this flick, including a guy I went to Pasadena High School with, Dickie Ingram - Class of 1961. He played a teenage guy driving around in a hot-rod convertible. Blink and you miss him.

• Like 1

"Tomboy and the Champ"..I must remember to add that to my Netflix queue.

At the beginning they show a sign that says "Katy Pop. 1076", but later they say the caravan from Katy into Houston had 1100 or more from Katy.  Either someone's fibbing, or they must have borrowed some people from Brookshire. 

The movie premier obviously attracted a lot of people from "metropolitan" Katy. Then, as now, metro Katy takes in a wide area that's outside the city limits. My son and his family live more than ten miles south of Katy in Fort Bend County, but they have a Katy address. Go figure.

• 1 month later...

Wow. I love that aerial shot of the old Katy Road coming into Houston. You can see the beginnings of the westbound lanes of what became I-10. I remember that highway. There was NOTHING between Katy and the western edge of the Spring Branch area around Bunker Hill and Campbell. Wide open spaces, mostly rice fields. Today it is completely filled in with continuous suburbs.

A lot of Houston people got small roles and were used as extras in this flick, including a guy I went to Pasadena High School with, Dickie Ingram - Class of 1961. He played a teenage guy driving around in a hot-rod convertible. Blink and you miss him.

Can you still get to Houston that way from Katy, or has old Katy Road been completely eaten by I-10?  I'd really like to know, for some reason!

I LOVED that movie! I would've been almost the age of the title-role girl (Tommy Jo).  I wanted to be her! I wanted to scramble for a calf! A few years ago I found the VHS tape of that movie on Amazon. When I watched it again, after so many decades, it was almost eerily fun, and very nostalgic. 

Can you still get to Houston that way from Katy, or has old Katy Road been completely eaten by I-10?

The old Katy Road still exists but only in bits and pieces. Most of it has been covered up by I-10. There are stretches of I-10 where old Katy road is now the westbound feeder road. Going west into Katy that feeder branches off into old Katy Rd and takes you through the middle of town.

• Like 1

• The title was changed to Loews State Theater At 1014 Main St.
  • The title was changed to Loews State Theatre At 1014 Main St.