Best News I've Heard All Week!

pineda

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Lindsay says he won't close the door on lobbying in the future...

He (Lindsay) started his own construction company the same year and developed an interest in politics while running the company.

"I didn't have political ambitions until 1970," he said. "The reason I thought about it was because I was doing a lot of work with politicians for school districts, the county and the city of Houston."

"The toll roads of course were my number one project," he said which included the Harris County toll roads and the Hardy Toll roads.

"I was the father of the Cypress Creek parks, Meyer Park, Jones and Boroughs Park," he said.

"I acquired and developed them with state and private money.

"County government is great government," he said. "I enjoyed that."

"I decided to run for state senator when Don Henderson said he would not run," said Lindsay.

He won the election and noticed that there was a huge difference between county and local government.

"It was a big change," he said. "As a county administrator you have the chance to get things done a lot quicker. You have four county commissioners. It's a lot harder to get a job done in Austin where you have 31 senators and 150 state representatives."

Lindsay offered advice to those interested in running for his seat or seeking public office in general.

"Just make sure they know what they are doing," he said. "Make sure they understand there is very little pay and lots of hours."

"I have a ranch to work on," he said. "I'll do some lobbying. I won't close that door."

"I'm not going to run for another office," he said. "Never say never, but at this point in time I don't have any plans."

Pineda, I have to say I appreciate your tenacity over this Grand Parkway project. Unfortunately, well over half the people in The Woodlands that make the commute to Houston would love an easier way to work and less time on the road. Unfortunately they will have to gouge a nice big line straight through all the forest, but that is how progress is made. Your house was once prime greenery also, remember that. It wasn't built on some natural concrete formation. I am pulling for you though. Building more and better roads up in that area doesn't effect me one bit. I hope the whole project folds. ;)

TJ-

I agree with you, and think that probably you've underestimated the number in The Woodlands area that would love to have the Grand Parkway project built for them. And to those Woodlands folks that really want this Grand Parkway built, I say, fine, build it through and in The Woodlands area. :)

Pineda, I have to say I appreciate your tenacity over this Grand Parkway project. Unfortunately, well over half the people in The Woodlands that make the commute to Houston would love an easier way to work and less time on the road. Unfortunately they will have to gouge a nice big line straight through all the forest, but that is how progress is made. Your house was once prime greenery also, remember that. It wasn't built on some natural concrete formation. I am pulling for you though. Building more and better roads up in that area doesn't effect me one bit. I hope the whole project folds. ;)

I don't know much about the Grand Parkway project - but I will say this - I certainly hope that everyone in the Woodlands (and Katy and Sugarland...etc.) understands that they live out there by choice and they should live with what they have at this point. There is plenty of vacant land inside the loop to house another 100,000 people and they wouldn't have to drive 30-miles each way each day.....

Remember that where you live is in large part by choice....if gas prices reach $10/gallon....hopefully nobody complains because there is plenty of housing, and lots of room for increased demand inside and near the loop.

Remember when there was only a 2-lane road from the woodlands (hypothetically of course).....if you build it they will come....the movie was about more than just a baseball field. It was a symbol to signify something about thinking before you act. build more roads....people will own more cars, and more people will move up there....if you widen the road, it won't make it easier for the existing population - it will make it so more poeple can be stuck 30 miles from the city.

Archived