Bus

I heard somewhere that the city buses in Houston run 24 hours a day, 7 day a week. Is that true? Well, if I lived in Houston, I think that I would seriously consider riding the bus most, if not all of the time. I'd maybe even try to do without a vehicle. I wouldn't have to buy gasoline, pay for maintenance, change a flat tire, break down, buy insurance, get into an accident, etc.

Chet Cuccia

The commuter buses don't run 24/7 that's for sure. There's actually a point (from 12-3.30, I believe) where they don't run at all. I forget when they stop, since I was usually on the 5pm bus out. The latest the LightRail runs is on Fridays and Saturdays, which is at 2.15am. The rest of the week is 12.45am. If you live and work in downtown, it's not hard to get by with only a bicycle. Randall's and (oye) CVS are walking distance, so are lots of dry cleaners - 2016 Main had their's right in the building. And the Angelika is a lightrail ride and a few blocks away.

If you're in the burbs, you're SOL as far as buses go to get to, say, the grocery store.

The rest of the schedules and whatnot are on RideMetro.org.

Depending on the route, all of Houston's transit has a down time. The park & rides stops around 7 or 8 pm, LRT stops around midnight, and the buses generally stop around 10 to 12. Some of them on restaurant routes, such as Richmond, run till 1 or 2 am.

The 82 Westheimer bus used to run 24-7, but that stopped several years ago. It still runs almost that, with a down time of only a couple of hours. As of last year, there were still a couple of 82 bus stop signs that said "24 hour service" on them at some odd stops along the route that aren't used that much. Apparently METRO missed those when the 24 hour service stopped.

Archived