Uber in other cities

I'm okay with surge pricing. It came in handy on a trip to DC recently. Surge pricing should be prohibited during weather emergencies, though. And taxis should be allowed to compete on equal footing (which is to say, they can also use surge pricing and surge prices are disclosed before booking).

Edited by kylejack
  • Like 1

I don't have a dog in this fight.

Uber gouging during peak times?

http://valleywag.gawker.com/uber-forced-driver-shortage-to-boost-surge-pricing-1531501176

That might work as a short term strategy, but now you're making your customer feel like they need to rate shop everytime they consider you and that will probably backfire in the long term.  All they're doing is creating opportunities for other companies to come into the market and compete against them. 

• 4 weeks later...

I use Hailo, but I was talking to some people at lunch yesterday who use Uber and UberX a lot and love it.  

Chicago cab companies are trying to ban Uber, UberX, Lyft, and Sidecar until they comply with local livery laws, especially when it comes to insurance.  According to the cab companies, if you're in an Uber car driven by a private person and there's a crash, you're not covered under the driver's insurance (at least in Illinois) because the driver has personal auto insurance, not commercial insurance.  Uber claims that its insurance policy fills the gap, but the cab companies say it only protects Uber.

In addition, while the cab companies are required to work all parts of the city, while the ride sharing people are free to cherry pick the most profitable runs - downtown hotels to the airports, and don't have to have to make special accommodations for the handicapped like cabs do.

Hailo works WITH the cab companies, and is great for summoning a taxi when you're in a neighborhood that doesn't get a lot of regular cab service.  I've used it about ten times and love watching the taxi on the screen as it gets closer to me.

As for Uber's "surge" pricing, it would be OK if the taxi scarcity was organic, but Uber's texts show that it is deliberately manipulating the number of vehicles available, which is creating artificial scarcity, driving up prices for its customers.  It's like how every time gas prices start to fall a bunch of gas refineries magically go offline for maintenance, and how the petroleum industry drags its feet to build new refining capacity.  Creating artificial scarcity makes people hate your company/industry.

• 5 weeks later...