What area should I commit to?

AGalvan

I work in the Heights area and I love the this area. I currently live out by Crosby but I am looking for a different home now. I love the Heights area but I don't know if buying a $300K bungalow in BrookeSmith would be the best option. I am open to different neighborhoods surrounding the Heights, including all the small Heights Neighborhoods, Montrose, Washington Ave. Looking for a home in the inner loop but just looking to see what everyones opinions are when it comes to buying a home close to the Heights.

• 2 weeks later...

If you're looking for a renovated bungalow for that price, Brooke Smith is probably your best option, although you'll probably need to spend closer to $350K. You can find a few dilapidated bungalows around the Heights under $300K, but most of them are tiny and need a lot of work. 

As for the neighborhood, Brooke Smith is a lot like other neighborhoods in the greater Heights area, but it's the last one to gentrify. Lot prices are about half the price of those west of N. Main St., so you can get a comparable house for less money compared to the Heights/Woodland Heights/Norhill. The tradeoff is that the neighborhood is a little rough around the edges. Most of the yards are fenced in for security, and quite a few houses are still pretty run down. But the neighborhood is transitioning as people are priced out of the Heights and Montrose move in and renovate. I suspect in the long-term it will become a very desirable neighborhood. 

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Don't commit; just rent. :) Seriously, what the others are writing is true. To find a reasonably priced property inside the loop one would have to locate in an area that is still in the earliest stages transition. The old Park Place neighborhood just outside the loop off the Gulf Freeway may still be affordable and is convenient to downtown. The commercial development around the nearby Gulfgate Mall adds to the convenience.

Archived