Katy Vs. Cy-Fair/Northwest Houston

ags01

Hello,

My family is thinking about buying a home in the west or northwest part of Houston. We are looking at Canyon Lakes at Stone Gate, which is between 290 and BarkerCypress. We are also considering living in Cinco Ranch which seems to be developed quite a bit more. Can any one give me any pros or cons for these neighborhoods?

Thanks!

Well, we just moved into our house this past friday in Cinco Ranch out in Katy, so you know my preference. We looked quite a bit up in the Cypress area.(Blackhorse, Cypress Creek Lakes, etc)

Cypress Pros:

- More areas with trees

- Seemed like more oversized lots available (Cypress Creek Ranch)

- Personal reasons: Closer to College Station (Gig 'em Ags) & to my parents near the Woodlands (babysitter)

Katy Pros:

- Cinco Ranch amenities

- Westpark Tollroad; I actually took the tollroad to work for the 1st time this morning. 26.5 miles in 35 minutes from my driveway to parking garage at work and it is not even completed! We live the south end of Cinco so its about 5 minutes to SH99 and FM1093. The 1st 4-5 miles is access road next to the tollroad, but it moves well. The are actually putting connectors from SH99 South going inbound, so that will speed things up at the 1093/99 intersection in the morning. Going home it will be a little longer b/c of some one lane sections on the feeder, but it will be complete out to SH99 shortly.

Both areas have pretty well respected schools, so I think that is a wash. It basically came down to traffic being such a bear on 290 from that far out. We were moving from 290 near Bingle (btwn the 610 loop and BW8) and it would somtimes take 30 or 40 minutes to get to work on my 8 mile commute. My boss lives out off Telge north of 290 and leaves his house at 5:30am and works out near the office to beat the traffic which he said is mind-numbing from where he is during rush hour.

The "South Katy" area is growing rapidly (Cinco Ranch, Seven Meadows, Grand Lakes, plus the other developements closer to town south of the Westpark Tollroad so it will get more congested), but I think once I-10 is complete in several years, this will balance out some the Katy and surrounding traffic to use I-10, especially if you are going downtown.

Let me know if you have any other specific questions.

To be technical, Cinco Ranch is not within the city limits of Katy - people who live in what is described as "Katy" usually live between Katy and Houston in unincorporated Harris and Fort Bend counties.

And in the case of Cypress, there is no incorporated city of Cypress.

The Cypress area is served by Cypress-Fairbanks Independent School District (All but one of the school districts in Texas are separate from municipal governments and can cross city and county boundaries).

The Katy area is served by Katy Independent School District.

Thanks for all the info.

The Cinco area seems to be better for shopping.

Does anyone live in StoneGate/Canyon Lakes? Is that area convenient to things like doctors, shopping, etc.

If anyone has opinons on this particular neigborhood, I would love to hear it. Do you think it is a good place to buy?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Plastic

Yeah I've decided that when I move ,that's where I'm gonna move.

The are going to be building a new shoping ,office village on I-10 across from Katy Mills Mall. Gonna be big.

• 1 month later...

Here's a point nobody has mentioned yet. Traffic. I think Katy has some of the worst traffic in the city, and I don't mean just driving in to town. I mean just getting around. If you were looking at Katy, I'd stick to Cinco Ranch and south so you could avoid the Katy mess. I also like the areas between 290 and 249, they're very green and have everything that Katy has, maybe more. Also, Cy-Fair and Klein schools are always ranked near the top academically with Katy, I'd call that a wash.

I've lived in Cinco Ranch for 2.5 years now and I can tell you that it's one of the best, if not the best kept area in the city. With this however comes very serious deed restrictions, in fact if you miss your weekly lawn mowing by even a couple of days you'll get a letter from the HOA.

Cinco Ranch has just about everything you'll need from lakes, to golf, to shopping, to the new lifestyle center that will be going up next year. The schools are are clean and have wonderful amenities.

As far as traffic is concerned, I have no problem with it unless I have to travel I-10 for whatever reason. Most of the time I travel 99 to the Westpark tollway and can be in Uptown in 20 minutes.

I did an experiment while traveling to a friends house in Willowbend (610 & South Post Oak). It was Friday at 5:10pm when I left my house in Cinco. I traveled out of the neighborhood, onto 99 then hit the tollroad going into town. I exited off the tollroad, hit 610 south, exited South Post Oak and into my friends driveway on Benning which is at the back of the neighborhood. My total trip time was 27 minutes.

So don't be to concerned with traffic in Katy unless you MUST travel I-10 on a daily basis.

By the way, Cinco Ranch is very green within the neighborhoods and especially on the main thouroughfares. I love the crape myrdles (is that how you spell it) on Peek and the wonderful flowers on the roadways.

Edited by Gary

The area is quite nice. I'm having some projects I have to work on out there.

I see the Westpark Tollway becoming another major revenue stream for HCTRA besides the West Belt.

Also, FBCTRA has the westermost section of the toll road too.

The amazing thing is that more trees are planted out there now than before the land was developed. Most of the land was farmland will a little amount of trees only on the property lines.

Crepe Myrtle, but close enuf. ;)

crepemyrtlere.jpg

Ha, ha. Guess I should learn the tree spellings down here. Anyway, thanks Red for the correction and the picture of the Crepe Myrtle. I love those trees when there blooming.

The area is quite nice. I'm having some projects I have to work on out there.

I see the Westpark Tollway becoming another major revenue stream for HCTRA besides the West Belt.

Also, FBCTRA has the westermost section of the toll road too.

The amazing thing is that more trees are planted out there now than before the land was developed. Most of the land was farmland will a little amount of trees only on the property lines.

Yeah I was told by some neighbors who grew up in Katy that the entire area was soybean and corn fields just a few years ago.

No problem Gary. I've got three 30 footers in my back yard. Never knew they grew that tall. Beautiful trees, but they drop stuff pretty much year round.

BTW, when I googled for that photo, it is actually a crepe myrtle in Ft Bend County. Wonder if it's a neighbor of yours. :P

• The title was changed to Katy Vs. Cy-Fair/Northwest Houston