KPRC TV show "Darts for Dough" Dick Gottlieb late 1940's,

karron Hamby

KPRC TV went on the air on January 1st of 1949. It took several years for it to develop local shows like Darts for Dough. It was hosted by Dick Gottlieb, who was one of Houston's most popular TV personalities then and now. I'm not sure when Darts went on the air, but I remember seeing it in 1955 and 56.

Darts for Dough had been a radio show before moving to TV. Many of the early TV shows, both locally and nationally, had been on radio. Others locally were Paul Boesch's Friday Night Wrestling and Fashions in Motion, a women's fashion show that Gottlieb also hosted that was broadcast live on TV from the Battlesteins store on Shepherd. How showing off women's fashions on radio worked I have no idea. I have no idea when D for D moved to TV but I think Gottlieb was mainly a radio announcer (on KLEE) before The Post took over KLEE-TV and flipped it to KPRC.

Enough of the aside, on the the original question: it's very unlikely there is any video surviving or was even made. Video tape had not yet been invented - in fact, audio tape was still quite new. The only means of recording a show if it wasn't shot on film (and D for D was live) would have been kinescope which involved pointing a film camera at a TV screen. I don't even know if Channel 2 had the equipment to do that but I doubt they would have bothered with a show like D for D.  It was a little tricky since the film frames had to synchronized with the TV frames; pictures were not very good.

If anybody knows if there is any video it would be Bill Bremer at the KPRC Facebook page. He's apparently been documenting KPRC history for decades and might have some stills from the show in the hundreds of pictures he's published.

BTW, my mother was on Darts for Dough twice and we didn't even live in Houston, we lived 60 miles away.  She wanted to be a TV star.  I hope you find some pictures and come back here to tell us if you do.

thanks for the info and reply I will try to check Bill Bremer  hoping for pictures.

My sister lived in Huntsville ,she didnt want to be a star,I really dont know how her friends talked her into going.We lost her at age 30 so her children have so few memories that we are following any info we can remember.

Karron, I found some old KPRC video clips from the late 88-91:

Here's one of their 10pm Telecast from 1989

Ron Stone's 6pm newscast from Oct. 15, 1991

Nightcast from January 9, 1991 when they still used "Houston's 24-hour News Source"

Archived