Name Game Continues For Light Rail Route

I saw that map in the Chronicle today and think it's really good at explaining more about the new plan.

BTW, is it just me, or does anyone else here miss Lucas Wall's traffic column? He's left Houston for Boston. This new Rad Sallee guy's writing is kind of dull, and gone are the comments and suggestions from Chronicle readers about transit issues that need to be fixed, along with Lucas's follow-up with the appropriate transit agency. I also miss Lucas's rants and raves -- his column had a lot more attitude than the new guy's.

It would be interesting to hear the viewpoint of anyone closely familiar with Galveston's trolley line system, and the issues they have faced with it.

Also, does anyone know if Houston ever had a trolley system in its history?

Yup. They shut it down last year. It's a shame, really. They were free and covered most of the city. (I know there were some bad things about them, but it was free.)

The trolly routes. (Thanks to Treebeards.)

I'm pretty sure these are the same ones as in San Antonio and Galveston. It's a shame we don't have the Duck Boat though.

Houston did have an electric trolley system in the early 20th century.

Like nearly every other city's system, it disappeared with the rise of the automobile. I read once that these trolley systems across the country, which were privately owned and operated, were bought out by GM (General Motors), which promptly shut down the trolley systems, forcing everyone to buy cars for transportation.

That story about GM buying out is the same as the Who Framed Roger Rabbit story (before the movie).

I thought the Galveston one was still operational and there were planning on adding more to it?

I thought the Galveston one was still operational and there were planning on adding more to it?

The Galveston trolley still runs. I rode it a few months ago. I rode the whole loop - it took about 45 minutes and covers some number of miles. It runs from The Strand, through some residential neighborhoods, out along The Seawall, and then back again. The cars are definitely vintage classics. I think it costs only a buck or two to ride. It seems to be primarily for the tourists, but I saw a few locals riding it like they would a bus. Especially if you lived in one those residential neighborhoods it served, you can hop on the trolley and ride it to work or whatever.

I thought so.

It's a simple system they and it is mostly for tourist to get from the strand area to the beach. It helps the island without having tourist criss-cross the island for going places.

Kind of like the LRT in Houston helped out in the Superbowl by allowing visitors not to have to use their car between downtown and Reliant.

Yup. They shut it down last year. It's a shame, really. They were free and covered most of the city. (I know there were some bad things about them, but it was free.)

The trolly routes. (Thanks to Treebeards.)

I'm pretty sure these are the same ones as in San Antonio and Galveston. It's a shame we don't have the Duck Boat though.

That's for the Metro "trolley" system, which was operated with buses that look like old trolley cars. The question was really about electric streetcar service using rails in the streets, which, as others have pointed out, Houston did have. The last of these routes was switched over to bus service in 1940.

There is an excellent book on the Houston trolley system, available at several Houston Public Library branches, called Houston Electric. It's full of old photos and route maps, and tells the story of the system from its start to the day service ended in 1940. Also included are sections on the Houston-Galveston and North Shore Interurban lines.

Galveston's trolley is currently more of a tourist system, with some local riders. It is operated by Island Transit, the city's public transit authority, which also operates buses. The trolley is being expanded to run between downtown and UTMB, a route that will likely draw more commuters. The system does use trolley cars running on rails in the streets, but does not rely on electric power. There are no overhead power supply lines for the system. Instead, the trolley cars run off diesel engines, like a bus.