3 college football stadiums, what names?

samagon

So, on one of the light rail threads someone mentioned that they assume the new football stadium will have the naming rights sold. 

I can't say I like it, but it brings up an interesting question about the Baylor and A&M.

Baylor is building their new stadium closer to campus, will it be named Floyd Casey, or are they going to be Snapple Field, or Dr. Pepper Stadium?

I can't imagine A&M selling naming rights. Students cheer their rich tradition, and it's an important part of their school, but then I also would never have imagined they'd choose to be in a different conference than their historic rivals of the original SWC. So why not sell the naming rights of the stadium too?

I guess though, just like The Summit, I'll have a hard time referring to any stadium on UH campus as anything other than Robertson.

I'm not sure about Baylor or UH, but I'm pretty sure the name of the stadium at A&M will remain Kyle Field.  They are moving to a PSL format like Texas did, and demand seems to be there to not need a big corporate sponsorship to pay for renovation.  I won't veer too far off topic, but as far as historic rivals - Arkansas and LSU are historic rivals for A&M and the Big 12 is anything but an historic conference, whereas the SEC is as historic as it comes.  I'm clearly an Aggie, so that's what drives that opinion.   

I remember when UT decided to change the name of Memorial Stadium to Darrell K Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium (I assume that they originally planned to change it to Royal Stadium, then thought better of it and came up with the current compromise). 

It seemed strange to me that a college that had named its stadium for WW1 dead -- with the pointed resonance that has, in that the the kids playing the game will always invoke the dead mostly their same age -- would subordinate the war dead to someone whose achievements lay with the game played in the stadium.

But it's probably for the best, as DKR is so beloved that UT is unlikely to ever attempt another name change, which insulates Longhorn fans from future mortification.

I remember when UT decided to change the name of Memorial Stadium to Darrell K Royal - Texas Memorial Stadium (I assume that they originally planned to change it to Royal Stadium, then thought better of it and came up with the current compromise). 

It seemed strange to me that a college that had named its stadium for WW1 dead -- with the pointed resonance that has, in that the the kids playing the game will always invoke the dead mostly their same age -- would subordinate the war dead to someone whose achievements lay with the game played in the stadium.

But it's probably for the best, as DKR is so beloved that UT is unlikely to ever attempt another name change, which insulates Longhorn fans from future mortification.

Don't forget that the field has been named for Joe Jamail.  It's getting awful crowded in the misty pantheon of longhorn memory, with the WWI dead sharing space with a football coach and a trial lawyer.

All the news items on the Baylor website refer to the new stadium as "Baylor Stadium". That was the original name for Floyd Casey Stadium before the Casey family made a large donation towards some renovations. If they can get away with it, Baylor will probably raise the money for the stadium without giving away the naming rights and then sell the rights later or name it after a big donor. Otherwise one of the big donors now could tie his donation to getting his name on the field. I'm sure that discussion is or has already been had behind the scenes. One thing I don't doubt, though, is that unless the Casey family comes up with the biggest donation the new stadium will not carry the Casey name.

Don't forget that the field has been named for Joe Jamail.  It's getting awful crowded in the misty pantheon of longhorn memory, with the WWI dead sharing space with a football coach and a trial lawyer.

True. The names probably won't last long.

I had forgotten the field was named for Joe Jamail. The swim center also bears his name. Pennzoil was good to UT.

Trivia: when I was in school the feminists were all up in arms over plans to tear down the "girls'" gym, the Anna Hiss gym,  because it was apparently the only building on campus named for a woman, a longtime phys.ed. teacher.

I'd always thought it was torn down, but apparently the womyn angle saved it. I am happy to learn that because it was a nice light-filled space, much more pleasing than dank Gregory Gym.

I read a book about Alger Hiss and Whittaker Chambers not long ago and learned that Anna Hiss was Alger Hiss's sister.

I don't know what the new "Robertson" stadium will be named, but I do believe UH already announced that the field will remain "John O'Quinn Field" at (TBD) Stadium.  That's thanks to a generous donation from the John O'Quinn Estate.

I recall reading about some of the lead donors for UH's new stadium, but I don't recall exact names.  That said, my hazy memory does seem to recall a nice donation from the Cullen/Robertson family to kick things off.

Archived