Heights - Highway 249 Commute

JCR

The company is relocating this summer.  I currently do the 610-I45-BW8 commute to the Gunspoint area.  I45N is no problem in the mornings as I leave at 7am, but southbound in the afternoon is unpredictable. I can continue this route and get to the new location via 8W to 249N, or try 610-290-BW8 east and then 249N.  Only a couple of miles difference between the I45 and 290 routes.  How is 290 outbound in the morning and 290 inbound afternoon compared to I45? 

I live in Midtown and work near Willowbrook mall (249 and 1960).....I also leave early in the morning and head up 45 to BW8 - no problems there....coming home is a different story.....290 is terrible...I have tried all the routes you mentioned and have ended up taking BW8 to Hardy Toll Road to 610 to 45....the extra tolls suck, but there is almost no traffic on Hardy....

I have the same issue that you do but the domestic group isn't moving out there until 2015.

The real question is when if ever will you move to the burbs? ;-)

I used to work out near Oceaneering and I took 290 outbound in the morning and it was fine.  Inbound was not good.  Presently, the construction at 290 and 610 is a fairly big problem so I would recommend 45 to bw8 to 249.  Also the ramp from WB BW8 to 249 is better than the other way around.

James

The company is relocating this summer.  I currently do the 610-I45-BW8 commute to the Gunspoint area.  I45N is no problem in the mornings as I leave at 7am, but southbound in the afternoon is unpredictable. I can continue this route and get to the new location via 8W to 249N, or try 610-290-BW8 east and then 249N.  Only a couple of miles difference between the I45 and 290 routes.  How is 290 outbound in the morning and 290 inbound afternoon compared to I45? 

290 outbound in the morning is fine, it's getting there that takes time.  With the roadwork on the North Loop, it can take ten minutes or more to get from Shepherd or Yale to 290.  Opposite problem in the afternoon; It's usually clear until you hit 610 (it's sometimes better to take Dacoma -> TC Jester -> 18th than 610, depending on where you live).

I can't comment on the BW8 part of the journey.

• The title was changed to Heights - Highway 249 Commute