Gerland's Store In Sugar Creek Shopping Center To Be Fiesta

Pleak

• 5 weeks later...

I first knew about this going to the TDLR website and looking up architectural project filings long before this was announced to be Fiesta, of which the filing stated that Fiesta was listed as the project slated to go into the old Gerland's. I first relayed this to my BBA capstone partner, himself an experienced former Gerland's cashier, and I wouldn't be surprised if he fanned the flames of a rumbling that has now become reality even further.

As for the property itself, last time I checked, they chopped off the top of the old Gerland's that had been there since the last facelift in 1993 (when the store still had exterior windows) and the steel frame of what is apparently Fiesta's new exterior is now protruding out into the front parking row (or at least what remains of it).

• 4 months later...

The new Fiesta just opened two weeks ago...it's not even your stereotypical Fiesta to begin with. They even gave it a fancy name: Fiesta Market Place. Of course, my uncle was reportedly the first customer inside the new store, and they gave him some perks for his reward.

As for the store itself, an elaborate paint and demo job was done to it (they even knocked out a wall where the expanded wine section is; the beer is now in one of the last few aisles). There is also a Caribou Coffee (the first in Texas), a Red Mango yogurt stand (though not a full-fledged one), Dietz & Watson deli meats (major Boar's Head competitor), a large meal section with sushi, soups and hot meals (among other items), and two aisles of international foods.

Oh, and the store has been doing brisk business since opening. A dramatic change from the Gerland's days.

Also has Slow Dough Bread which I love. I tried to go by the first day and there was not a parking spot to be had in the whole parking lot, and it's a big parking lot. Finally got by there a few days  later and it was okay. Good wine selection but very poor beer selection. Like all Fiesta's it still has a lot of interesting international food selections. Business is brisk for now but don't know how long that will last. Will be mainly used by "Creekers". I don't think people are going to continue to drive a long distance to go there. 

• 6 years later...
  • The title was changed to Gerland's Store In Sugar Creek Shopping Center To Be Fiesta

Archived