New Bridge: Capitol St. & Rusk St. At I-45

ig2ba

Quick question: does anyone know why there's a new bridge being constructed between the Capitol and Rusk bridges at I-45 and Buffalo Bayou? Is it a new pedestrian bridge? Are the widening Rusk/Capitol? (And if so, why?)

I wasn't able to find anything on TxDOT's project tracker and the COH website is not working now.

As luck would have it, I got inside info on this very item today. It is indeed for the new SE/E rail line. Current plans do not call for a stop on the west side of the bayou, but they're looking at changing that and creating a stop at the courthouses and police station.

As luck would have it, I got inside info on this very item today. It is indeed for the new SE/E rail line. Current plans do not call for a stop on the west side of the bayou, but they're looking at changing that and creating a stop at the courthouses and police station.

Thanks. Very interesting. I didn't think the rail would go this far, so I didn't even think of this possibility. I wonder if this would allow for expansion to a few stops along Washington? Maybe not the whole length along Washington and Westcott, but something.

Thanks. Very interesting. I didn't think the rail would go this far, so I didn't even think of this possibility. I wonder if this would allow for expansion to a few stops along Washington? Maybe not the whole length along Washington and Westcott, but something.

In the very original concept maps, the line did continue up Washington and into The Heights out to the Northwest Transit Center. I believe there was immediate pushback by the Heights, and it disappeared from future maps. I think in the very, very long-term, it might be considered again (after Universities and Uptown lines are done), but I definitely wouldn't hold your breath. My best guess would be mid to late 2020s or into the 2030s, if ever.

In the very original concept maps, the line did continue up Washington and into The Heights out to the Northwest Transit Center. I believe there was immediate pushback by the Heights, and it disappeared from future maps. I think in the very, very long-term, it might be considered again (after Universities and Uptown lines are done), but I definitely wouldn't hold your breath. My best guess would be mid to late 2020s or into the 2030s, if ever.

I think the outcry from taking part of that new bike trail would be tremendous for the Washington-Heights route. I also hear that they will be extending this bike trail westward soon. There is certainly not space for two rail lines and the bike trail. Washington/Westcott or Washington/T.C. Jester are the only other options I see. Some people on another HAIF thread started talking about this being the way forward, but I just don't think so.

I don't see why it wouldn't be a possible way forward. the north line is a continuation of the red line.

it could be a west line that goes out to the westside transit center (following washington and splitting on to old katy road). uptown line could still be built to connect into the galleria area, and eventually, university line could be built which would create a nice spider web of intersecting rail lines.

I don't see why it wouldn't be a possible way forward. the north line is a continuation of the red line.

it could be a west line that goes out to the westside transit center (following washington and splitting on to old katy road). uptown line could still be built to connect into the galleria area, and eventually, university line could be built which would create a nice spider web of intersecting rail lines.

It certainly is possible, it's just lower priority than the Universities and Uptown lines which were approved in the referendum, so it won't even be considered until those lines are complete.

I don't recall any pushback from Heights residents on the Phase 3 Katy Line light rail. It was never proposed to use the bike trail. It was proposed to run down the Washington corridor. The uproar in the Heights concerned a proposed commuter rail allignment on the bike trail, and later a huge outcry when a Toll Authority spokeswoman suggested that a toll road could run through the bike trail space.

hou-metro-solutions-map.jpg

• The title was changed to New Bridge: Capitol St. & Rusk St. At I-45

Archived