Midtown Development Tower

wxman

I know that there's a lot of midtown love in this forum, but I have to question whether Midtown is really living up to the hype or is it just a neighborhood that's getting some growth because of the general growth rate of the city?

This isn't meant to be a trolling question, but an honest one. Uptown is booming, the city is focusing on developing residential Downtown and there's a lot of focus on potential growth in the East End, not to mention that there's still huge growth outside the Beltway.

Is it possible that Midtown has peaked?

I know that there's a lot of midtown love in this forum, but I have to question whether Midtown is really living up to the hype or is it just a neighborhood that's getting some growth because of the general growth rate of the city? This isn't meant to be a trolling question, but an honest one. Uptown is booming, the city is focusing on developing residential Downtown and there's a lot of focus on potential growth in the East End, not to mention that there's still huge growth outside the Beltway. Is it possible that Midtown has peaked?

First, how can something have "peaked" if it's still getting "growth" (despite where the growth is from)?

Second, I lived in Midtown for five years and loved every minute of it. It's probably the most "real" place in this city where you are exposed to everything, everyone, and every culture. It has African American institutions like The Ensemble Theatre and The Breakfast Klub... street signs in Vietnamese (and awesome restaurants), homeless, yuppies, musicians, museums, mixed use, old mansions, gays, straights, families, walkability, live music, clubs, light rail, parks, graffiti, (i.e all good, bad, and everything in between thrown into one neighborhood).

Midtown was just designated an Arts and Entertainment District by the state. They also have a huge new Collaborative Arts complex coming, the superblock being developed this year, more huge complexes coming, and more to come around the Continental Club. Even non-profits are growing and renovating (or building on empty) lots. Saying the neighborhood has peaked just doesn't make any sense.

Yes, other parts of town are also growing. Uptown for high-rise living. East End from Dynamo Stadium. Outside the beltway for cheap housing. In fact, I think Midtown's growth will only accelerate as more people move outside the beltway and our freeways (and the overtaxed suburban infrastructure) become permanant parking lots.

How can something have peaked when everytime , you turn around something is being built  there ?

yes uptown is seeing growth but its the first time in 30 yrs since it has grown

at current midtown is building three  200-300 + apartment units, they just closed the deal on the superblock which will give the area its own discovey green type park. plus a section will go to a new camden apt project that will have 300 + units . then there is the Interfaith Ministries which just started construction on their new camus which cover two city blocks and their admin office will be taking over the old bank on main and fannin bring with it a 145 employee.. then their is the match which seems to be well on its way to reaching its goal that two will span two city blocks, then there are alot of business that have expressed intrest into expanding into the midtown area

and really I have found areas like eado kinda of lacking, I have thought given its proxmity to downtown,,it would have been a high-rasie gold mine.. I really expected that whole area to have been dotted with high rasies by now

Edited by Moore713
  • Like 1

• The title was changed to Midtown Development Tower