Austin Streetcars

Subdude

I love how the article says that streetcar tracks from the 1930s can be used. Yeah, maybe so, if the Austin residents don't mind seeing their brand new Capital Metro light rail vehicles derailing and having a bumpy ride. I have yet to hear of a light rail project that was able to use track that old successfully. Those rails don't last forever, and 70+ years of rain, wind, and traffic on top of them has certainly caused a lot of corrosion in the tracks.

I do think rail would be a good option for Austin but they seem to have had as much trouble as Houston in getting it started.

I believe this is what they are talking about (Portland example below)... and frankly, I could see it working in the downtown area of Austin.

Austin is getting serious about light rail (they vote again this November), as well as commuter rail. There does seem to be a growing concensus there that they need to develop a truly multimodal transportation network... I wish we could get the same concensus going here. I simply don't understand why there aren't more serious discussions about commuter rail in Houston, aside from a few commissioners with the County.

Oh well, I like Austin a great deal and think the streetcar idea is a good one.

DSC00756.jpg

DSC00768.jpg