New HAIF front

boounce

Thanks. It's something I've been tinkering with in my spare time for the last six months or so. The idea is to make it visually more appealing, and to also make it load much more quickly. Now that I have the basic framework put together I have to spread it to all the other pages of the site.

Average page load time has gone from 12-16 seconds down to 1-6 seconds.

Ok - Constructive Criticism is what you want. Well here goes.

There is too much wasted, open space on the new home page.

I like how things move when the cursor goes over the active areas.

The font is hard to read on "Recent Updates", "List of Buildings by Neighborhood", etc.

It is not at all clear as to how to get to the Forums page. You have to move the cursor over each of the options and say to yourself "well, lets try 'many more posts' and see what happens"

I could go on, but I am tired. As I said earlier. Keep working on it.

I too would like to offer additional CC. I have experience with UX.

I think you should integrate your building database into the forum rather than the other way around. Specifically-- your front page should be the forum. This way, new users immediately identify what this site is about. I also suspect it's the page most regular users would visit first given the choice. Your database of buildings is unique and valuable, but HAIF is foremost a forum. I frequent this site to see what people are saying about new developments in the area and then sometimes meander into another section.

I know it's easy to build and build, but the forum model works. If you add to much to it (or disguise it), it confuses people and you will lose participation through attrition.

Just my thoughts.

Thanks for the service.

Archived