‘Speed trap’ sign lands Houston pedestrian in jail

There are sections with speed limits, or the suggested speed. And when I said enforce the same laws, I'm talking about passing on the right, not yielding for faster traffic, tailgating, etc. Makes sense to me, but instead we just get a ticket for going five+ over.

just got back from a 3 week vacation in Germany this Sunday.

There is no part of the autobahn that isn't controlled. For the most part they have signs that mean 'no speed limit' but they monitor every section of the road constantly and will mediate speeds as necessary for traffic, weather, construction, etc. if there is a speed limit posted, it isn't a suggestion. and for the most part there's only small sections anymore that they ever lift a top speed limit and allow for however fast you want to go. on the road between Stutgard and Munich is one of the roads we were on that they had no speed limit posted. We were doing about 90mph in our ford transit and getting passed as if we were standing still by even the smallest of hatchbacks.

It seems the entire autobahn is being reconstructed. you can't drive 30 miles today without a construction project slowing things up. I guess they want to keep the economy booming with some shovel ready projects. it's good though because they are going from 2 lanes each direction to 3 lanes each direction, which really allows traffic to smooth out.

Our interstate highways are in nowhere near the condition that the autobahn is in, their yearly inspections go a bit farther than checking the lights and honking the horn, and getting a license to drive is a long and very expensive proposition.

If they decided to go to an autobahn type system with no speed limit, I'd stay off the roads for at least a year to let the people who shouldn't be driving and those driving broken cars to kill themselves going 120 while talking on the phone, eating, applying makeup, or because their brakes give out due to crappy maintenance.

There are sections with speed limits, or the suggested speed. And when I said enforce the same laws, I'm talking about passing on the right, not yielding for faster traffic, tailgating, etc. Makes sense to me, but instead we just get a ticket for going five+ over.

Got it. Makes more sense now.

Archived