San Leon Parrots

trymahjong

The National Parrot Rescue Foundation has their annual convention in Houston the latter part of January. This year a tour of the Quaker Parrots of San Leon is offered. I was wondering what to expect. . . . . are there large nesting places? . . . . . are there that many birds? Just wanted to hear other peoples experience--thanks

I have been sailing in Clear Lake since the early eighties and the first I memory of them is in the trees on the road into Watergate Yachting Center. There were only a couple them back then but over the years that flock really grew. For a while they would disappear and then return. I don't keep my boat over there anymore so can't tell you for sure you will find them hanging out on that road but would say to give it a try.

• 1 year later...

I did  get to visit the Wild Quaker parrots that make their home on the campus of Brooklyn college. There is a nice guy that runs a tour and uses the money generated to buy bird seed for the parrots.  These parrots are extremely hardy and not only have survived the yearly snow in Brooklyn but Hurricane Sandy as well. http://www.brooklynparrots.com/

I also drove to San Leon and did the Railean Distillery Tour and was blown over that four Quaker parrots were in the palm tree outside. I'm not sure how to describe how to get there but here is the website for that distillery. http://www.railean.com/ --

WE ate at Bubba's Shrimp, which is next to the Yacht Club and also saw the Parrots in the trees outside. The people I was with, noted that the number of parrots seems less. I was thrilled to see any parrots.

If I can figure it out-- I'll post some pictures-- I only had my cell phone with me. 

We did a project in San Leon a few years back, probably 3 or 4 years ago.  It was definitely after Hurricane Ike.  I was down there a number of times, and must have seen dozens of the green parrots all along 646.  As I recall they nested in some of the palm trees and in nests on power poles too.  This would have been on 646 past Bayshore Park, near all the churches and bars.  Gotta love San Leon.

The first picture if of Brooklyn Quaker--  Almost everyone in Brooklyn agrees that those parrots were released accidently in the 1960's by some criminals going through containers at LaGuardia Airport. No one on my San Leon trip could tell me how those Parrots came to be there.post-6399-0-68425200-1371127127.jpg

These Parrots are found more than a thousand miles apart--

Archived