Galveston

GALVESTON

Galveston has a population of over 57,000 people in the city today. Galveston will be hard to reach a 100,000th population density. As building more homes that there wouldn't quite be enough to fit in that many on the island. But like for other shore island cities like Miami Beach and Key West has about the same population as Galvestion near Miami population just over 379,000 people in it with high rise buildings built along the shore. Galveston can reach to that may residents by building higher rise buildings of apartments and hotels to make it look more interesting like Miami Beach to reach that many people on that small island.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't think there will be 300,000 people any time soon who would want to live in Galveston, especially in high-rises, and who would have the economic means to do so (either retirees or those with jobs in commuting distance). I personally wouldn't like to see Galveston's beaches lined with high-rises, because I think that kind of density affects the quality of life. The new high-rise condos going up between Stewart Beach and East Beach are nice, but I don't expect that there will be enough demand for a lot more projects like those.

• 4 weeks later...

("I don't think there will be 300,000 people any time soon who would want to live in Galveston, especially in high-rises, and who would have the economic means to do so (either retirees or those with jobs in commuting distance). I personally wouldn't like to see Galveston's beaches lined with high-rises, because I think that kind of density affects the quality of life. The new high-rise condos going up between Stewart Beach and East Beach are nice, but I don't expect that there will be enough demand for a lot more projects like those.")

When I wrote this on 7/14, I had no clue that a whole bunch more high-rises are being planned for East Beach. It looks like Galveston will indeed have a whole row of high-rises along the beach very soon. It's somewhat exciting, but it's also disappointing because I'm worried it'll be overdeveloped, crowded and ugly.