Jimmy Menutis Club At 3236 Telephone Rd.

rsb320

Yep. There was a big section on Jimmie Menutis in Burton Chapman's Telephone Road book. Menutis had a quiet hand in Houston's de-segregation at a time when theatres and dance halls were almost entirely segregated. Apparently, if questioned about the mixed-race audiences at his club he would say that the people in question (usually black) were "friends of the performers."

• 1 month later...

Yep. There was a big section on Jimmie Menutis in Burton Chapman's Telephone Road book. Menutis had a quiet hand in Houston's de-segregation at a time when theatres and dance halls were almost entirely segregated. Apparently, if questioned about the mixed-race audiences at his club he would say that the people in question (usually black) were "friends of the performers."

• 3 years later...

RLee, Jimmy Menutis's Club was on Telephone Rd about a block east of Wayside. It was torn down and paved over a long time ago. Today that stretch of Telephone Rd between Wayside and Griggs looks nothing like it did in the 50s and 60s.

Menutis bought the old Wayside Theater in the late 50s and turned into one of Houston's hottest and most popular live music venues. Want to guess why it closed in the mid 60s? The British Invasion that killed American rock and roll. 

I don't remember dancing being the big draw. It had a big dance floor, but it was the hot and rising rock and roll and R&B stars who pulled in the high school and college crowd, whether we were old enough to drink legally or not. Most of us weren't but nobody cared about our age or our race. It was Houston's first entertainment venue to be integrated from day one.

Filioscotia,

I remember the theater being on Wayside just south of Telephone Road (same corner, just facing Wayside not Telephone). I still remember having to avert our eyes when driving by with my mother (her being a strict fundamentalist). We never had any idea of what went on inside, but the Saxophone player that stood astride the marquee was evidence enough that some variety of the Devil's work was going on inside.

msteele6

Your memory is faulty. The old Wayside Theater which became the Jimmy Menutis Club was located at 3236 Telephone Road, a block east of Wayside, and it was facing Telephone road. Don't take my word for it, look it up. 

I have no idea why they named it the Wayside Theater when it was clearly on Telephone Road a block away from Wayside. Go figure.

• The title was changed to Jimmy Menutis Club At 3236 Telephone Rd.

Archived