Light Rail Users' Cars Park Along Route...

If this is relevent someplace else, the moderators can move it. :)

http://www.duluthsuperior.com/mld/duluthsu...ics/9404237.htm

Posted on Sat, Aug. 14, 2004

Light-rail users leave neighborhoods clogged with cars

Associated Press

MINNEAPOLIS - Since the Hiawatha light-rail line opened in June, Metro Transit officials have been celebrating its success in attracting riders. But that success has led to headaches for residents who live near the line's transit stations.

Riders have been parking their cars on residential streets in south Minneapolis and clogging neighborhoods while they take the train to work or to ballgames at the Metrodome.

Paper signs stapled to trees on a quiet stretch of 29th Avenue S. scream, "DON'T LIVE HERE? DON'T PARK HERE!!!!!!!!!!!" in black capital letters.

Gina Palandri, a resident activist, calls the parkers "hide-and-riders."

Twenty-five cars aligned the curb one recent evening - about twice the number before light rail, Palandri said. Homeowners near the 38th, 46th and 50th street stations said they're coming home from work to find no street parking available, especially during sports events at the Metrodome.

On a recent afternoon, just steps from where Palandri often sits and monitors the situation in a blue camping chair, Andover resident Steve Loahr hopped off a train at the 38th Street station and into his minivan, three children in tow, without hesitation.

"Yeah, I ignored them (the signs)," said Loahr, who was returning from a Twins game.

That's not to say he doesn't sympathize, he just doesn't have an alternative. "They (Metro Transit) should have parking," Loahr said. "I don't know why they didn't think of that before."

---

Information from: Star Tribune, http:// WWW.STARTRIBUNE.COM

Sunday morning I noticed a number of people parking along Main St. in the Hermann Park area and walking over to the Hermann Park/Rice U METRORail stop. Most appeared headed to the Texans game from the way they were dressed. I've also seen people parking in the St. Paul's UMC parking lot at San Jacinto and Binz to catch the light rail at the Museum District platform.

Well, downtown parking can be VERY expensive over a period of a month, and most of the time it comes out of YOUR pocket and you're not reimbersed. 9 times out of 10, if your building has a garage, the parking is deducted from your wages (even if it IS discounted).

Ricco