Realtor lease renewal fee - Please advise!

Our house is listed for sale, but we have not received an offer yet and would like to put it up for lease.

Our realtor has given as a draft residential lease agreement that has a 100% of one full month's rental as fee payable when the property is leased (fair enough)

but

it also has a renewal fee of 100% of one full month's rental if the lease is renewed after one year.

Is this standard?

Can I fight this? I don't think is fair to get that renewal fee since he won't have to list the house, or do a background check, or credit check, or anything.

Plus, he won't be the property manager. After the house is leased, he won't have to move a finger. Does he earn a renewal fee in perpetuity?

Many thanks for your help!

Our house is listed for sale, but we have not received an offer yet and would like to put it up for lease.

Our realtor has given as a draft residential lease agreement that has a 100% of one full month's rental as fee payable when the property is leased (fair enough)

but

it also has a renewal fee of 100% of one full month's rental if the lease is renewed after one year.

Is this standard?

Can I fight this? I don't think is fair to get that renewal fee since he won't have to list the house, or do a background check, or credit check, or anything.

Plus, he won't be the property manager. After the house is leased, he won't have to move a finger. Does he earn a renewal fee in perpetuity?

Many thanks for your help!

Was in the same situation in 2009. The realtor took one months rent for a fee. There was no renewal fee.

Can I fight this?

Yes. No written contract is valid until it's been negotiated and signed by both parties. Like any negotiation, you have to be willing to walk away from the table in order to be in the strongest position. In this case, those are standard terms but the corresponding clauses in the agreement can be removed. It's never seemed reasonable to me that an agent receive an extra month's rent upon renewal if they're not actively engaged in the renewal itself. It's difficult enough to make money as a property investor even without an average of 8.3% of revenue being cut off the top.

Please note that attempting to negotiate this may result in your walking away from the agent and attempting to find another - who themselves might have the same terms. However, it sounds like you're in the beginning of the process and haven't yet found a lessee. If that's the case, you may not be hindered significantly by 'shopping around'. Just be sure you don't already have a contractual obligation with your current agent which prevents you from doing so.

I've been in the same situation. The renewal seems to be a standard clause. Just talk with your realtor, and if they agree, cross out the renewal clause in the contract and both initial next to it. More than likely, your realtor is not going to turn down one-month's rent right now for the possibility of a second rental payment in a year.

Just be sure you don't already have a contractual obligation with your current agent which prevents you from doing so.

Gee. I guess I may be stuck then. We have an agreement with this realtor to sell the house. If we fight the lease renewal fee, he may refuse to list the house for rent, and we may not be able to list it with another realtor because of the agreement.

But I am fighting this renewal fee anyway.

Thanks y'all for the advice!

Gee. I guess I may be stuck then. We have an agreement with this realtor to sell the house. If we fight the lease renewal fee, he may refuse to list the house for rent, and we may not be able to list it with another realtor because of the agreement.

Just as no contract is valid until it's signed by all parties, it's also the case that all contracts can be broken - though, usually with consequences. I'm not suggesting you automatically go out and violate your contract with your current agent; however, I believe you should always consider that as an option and simply be aware of (and strongly consider) the ramifications of such an action. If it turns out that's better than the alternative [staying within the contract], then you can - and maybe should - break the contract. But, be sure you're aware of the full consequences of doing so. A lawyer may be able to assist you in the legal analysis of this.

That's generic advice. In this particular case, it's likely that a legal analysis will show that breaking your contract may result in costs which exceed what you're trying to avoid (i.e., one month's rent). However, note that there's nearly always a term/duration to the agreement that you have with your realtor; be sure to read it carefully and see if there's any wiggle room. Again, you may wish to have an attorney look into the matter, too - if it's of consequence to you.

There IS another option available... Simply don't renew the lease of the tenant which your current realtor finds. That may seem petty, and it certainly has the potential to punish an innocent bystander (your tenant) for something which is not their fault, but it is a way to stay true to the terms of the agreement with your realtor and yet not give them a dime after the first renewal. ph34r.gif

One final note: I spoke with a friend of mine who's a residential property investor about your question. He indicated that, while technically some contracts do come with those clauses, they're not usually enforced. Sure, they're enforceable but realtors (in his experience) usually don't go around checking whether a previous tenant has renewed. They're on to bigger and better things. Arguably, the onus would be on the realtor to enforce the clause of the contract and bill you for the renewal fee (if it comes down to that).

Just try to negotiate it, and you'll probably win out.

Good luck!

Edit: Edited to say "Good luck!" tongue.gif

Edited by Simbha
  • Like 1

Realtors are so overpaid, fight that crap.

I could not agree more! Realtors do serve a purpose, but the flat % that they make on a deal has not ever been adjusted for the nearly constant increase in price of property....When I see a Realtor pocket 3% on a $3,000,000 deal ($90,000) simply for taking some pictures, uploading them, and placing the listing on HAR it makes my stomach roll....Many times there is not even 2 hours of work involved in listing a property...The fact that reputable realtors are willing to post a rental property for $1600/month shows you that it does not cost them anything to do so. You could sell your house for that too....its the same amount of work.

• 3 months later...